Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need advice

+2
terjung
t206head
6 posters

Go down

I need advice Empty I need advice

Post by t206head Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 am

About 8 month ago I had a hand full of cards stolen (It was a junky boyfriend of a close friend) the cards were sold for cash and thats that!! now I find all my cards + one hof in a lot at Huggins & scott I never bid on big Auctions but I just want too win this back whats my best plan of action thanks BOB
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

I need advice Empty Re: I need advice

Post by terjung Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 am

Did you file a police report? If so, you may have a course of action if you can prove that those were your cards. If you didn't file a report and/or can't prove that they were yours, then you are pretty much out to lunch and amongst all the other bidders. I suppose that you could contact that auction house to let them know, but I'm not sure what that would get you if you don't have the police report.

Brian
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

I need advice Empty Wow,

Post by nolemmings Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:47 am

Please pardon my remarks, but something does not pass the smell test here. I'm assuming that there are many cards that were not taken but could have been taken, i.e. some were left behind. I'm also assuming that the junky would have little or no knowledge of our hobby--maybe that's in fact incorrect, but I think my assumption is reasonable. I take no position on what knowledge of cards your close friend might have. So how is it a junky, who usually acts impulsively and quickly to satisfy his jones, would have known how to broker those cards quickly, to someone who that not long thereafter would consign them to a major auction house, thereby realizing max value?

I was burglarized multiple times, with cards taken. On one occassion, the cards were retrieved at a routine traffic stop that led to investigation and conviction of a car-theft and home burglary ringleader. Most all of those were returned. On another occasion, I found two of my cards on ebay, called the local PD about 125 miles away, and provided a police report and other info to establish that they were mine. The deputy knocked on seller's door, and I got my cards back. On yet another occasion, the cards were sold to a dealer at a major (for Phoenix anyway) Tri-Star show, when I was but a few feet away!!!!!!! I knew the seller, who called me with his suspicions, and I paid him what he paid the crooks (who went uncaught), which was still less than what the cards were worth. So there are three scenarios.

Many years have since passed, and I keep most all of anything valuable offsite. I keep my eyes open for a beautiful B14 blanket of Walter Johnson--I have a high-res scan for comparison-- and a 1916 Herpolsheimer Dick Hoblitzell graded SGC 84. It's been many years, but I won't forget. Good luck.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

I need advice Empty I need advice

Post by t206head Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 am

If You need more details I can tell You that They were sold To a dealer At the westchester county center for about 500$ then consigned to huggins via the vender. I have little proof that I ever owned said cards and no report was filed (I could not subject My friend to that kind of bullshit) I did Get some money from that little worm.. in total the lot may fetch 1400
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:57 am

Ouch, that really sucks Bob. It's a helpless feeling to see your stolen cards up for sale again. I think Terjung's advice is spot on. You'll need a police report along with scans of the cards from when they belonged to you in order to get anywhere with the auction house. If you don't have that kind of proof, your chances of getting the auction house to cooperate are going to be slim unfortunately. I can sympathize because most of my collection stolen in 2005 (except for a box of cabinets stored in a separate area, the scumbags who broke in missed those). When 5 of my cards showed up on ebay about a year later, I called the police department where I filed the report initially with the report reference # in hand. I also had my old website with scans of all the stolen cards as reference. Similar to Todd's situation, they sent an officer down to knock on the door of the seller. Unfortunately the cards had passed through several hands before being sold at a flea market to the ebay seller, so they weren't able to track them down. But the ebay seller was cooperative and I did recover the 5 cards, which was a small victory in the grand scheme of things. I still carry the police report ref # in my wallet wherever I go just incase.

Wish I had some more encouraging advice, but without the documentation of the theft and of the cards, there likely isn't much recourse here. But we're pulling for ya buddy. Embarassed It's pretty shocking how frequently these thefts do happen.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I know a guy who can help. He goes by the nickname O.J. and he's great at going after stolen sports stuff before it gets sold off. Wait wait wait, I forgot...he might be tied up for a little while, never mind.

Seriously though, that really sucks man, I hope you can get your cards back in the end.

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:59 am

Well now that it all over its safe to say that this crazy card world runs in small circles. the story above ends were it began !! my cards were stolen, sold to A dealer who added one of his own and consigned them to huggins and scott lot 818 I bid and lost. now the winner has posted 3 on ebay were I won them all in the first place. the seller is none other than mr.buythatcard him self.. I hope they are packed well on there new journey anyway sorry for the rant.. PS I did manage to win A sweet lot of my own will post pix later thanks BOB
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:37 am

So did Buythatcard come out on the transactions? You should make an added note to make sure they secure the end of the holder they put the card in. L Very Happy

I know that the common T206 stuff is really taking a hit right now. Now would be a great time to start a set get your commons real cheap.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
I need advice Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100I need advice Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down