Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimmed Cards, What to do with them?

+2
yawie99
bowlingshoeguy
6 posters

Go down

Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Empty Trimmed Cards, What to do with them?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 am

I have acquired my share of trimmed cards, some obvious and some not so obvious. I have yet to sell any of my trimmed cards and have always contemplated what to do with them. I would not mind selling them but some in the wrong hands would llater be sold as unaltered.

A few years ago a big dealer sold 5 lots of T206s that were all trimmed and sold as such. I had a hard time seeing the trimming and asked them about the cards, they said they were definately trimmed but not easy to tell. At the time I did not think of getting the buyers ebay names, but the pices were strong for trimmed cards and suspected many would be resold as unaltered.

This has always bothered me, but what are we to do as owners of these cards? question

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Empty Re: Trimmed Cards, What to do with them?

Post by yawie99 Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:19 am

I gave a few trimmed T206's to my students a couple of years ago - with the disclaimer, of course, that I was not actually endorsing the use of tobacco products. I explained that they weren't worth all that much, but they still thought the cards were awesome. In fact, I have one kid's little brother this year and he keeps asking, "When are you going to give away old cards?
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Empty Re: Trimmed Cards, What to do with them?

Post by onlychild Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:37 pm

I would not mind selling them but some in the wrong hands would llater be sold as unaltered.

ah....In the very wrong hands they would all get graded.

Personally, if it wasn't for trimmed cards (or paper loss), donated or purchased, most the the experiments and/or advanced alteration information could have never been accomplished. They have been great for discovering new techniques and perfecting old one's.

I know other collectors just want to fill gaps in their collections and don't mind trimmed cards.

There is a place for everything in this hobby!
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:45 pm

DELETED

Last edited by Z-NUT on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 pm

It seems that for many collectors, the "T" word is the kiss of death. Not for me. I have a handful of trimmed cards in my collection that I enjoy very much. Often a slight trim is hardly noticeable and it keeps an expensive card relatively affordable. I've kind of noticed "AUT" cards gaining some momentum pricewise, so maybe more collectors are starting to warm up to the idea of owning trimmed cards that are otherwise pretty nice.

Lee, I woudn't worry too much about what happens to your trimmed cards down the line once you've sold them. It would definitely suck to see them resold without mentioning the trim, but that's entirely out of your control. As long as you describe the card honestly and accurately when you sell it (and we know you will), that's the best you can do.

Here's my trimmed Boston Store Baker....not bad huh?

Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? BSbakerTrimmed Cards, What to do with them? BS2
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:35 pm

I am in the very small minority, but I don’t mind if a card is trimmed, as long as it is going into my collection. The sets I collect are generally difficult to find cards. As a result of this, I take examples whenever I can because I may not see the same card for another one or two years.

I do realize I am the minority, however, so when “buying to sell” the condition of the card does factor into my decision on whether or not to buy it.

[img]Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Nat1[/img]

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Trimmed Cards, What to do with them? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down