Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc.

5 posters

Go down

Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Empty Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc.

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm

In a recent thread, I mentioned something about the Mayan Calendar and Jay jumped in (seemed like Jay was familiar with what I was referring to). Also, I have mentioned working on a book I hope to have published this year to a few members on the phone (when asked what I have been doing, etc.). Some thought it was a book about cards. However, it is actually a local archaeology book I have been working on for about three years now.

I have always enjoyed history and archaeology, since I was in the 5th grade (I can remember we had to tell the "Gifted" teacher what we wanted to be when we grew up, so she could order us some books and material along those lines and my response was an achaeologist).

The book I hope to have out by the end of the year is about local history/folklore - The John Swift Silver Mines. I live within 30 minutes of the TN and KY borders (in VA) and this area is supposedly where John Swift operated a huge silver mining operation in the mid 1700's. To make a long story short, I was told by therapists I needed to walk a couple miles every day after I was injured in 2002. So, in the Winter of 2004, I bought a metal detector and decided to track down the old Swift Silver Mines in my area. Heck, walking through the mountains is much better scenery than walking laps around a track I thought. So far, I have found the cave where Swift melted the silver ore into French crowns, several of the "cache" sites, almost all of the stone markers, ancient trees with inscriptions, and two of the four mines. After I find the main mine in the next month or so, I am going to start/finish my book. It has been a great experience (even though all of the cached treasures have been dug up years ago - there goes my Ty Cobb back and T210 Jackson! Razz ). The mountains around here are simply relaxing and a whole other world away from the hustle of everyday life, as when I am out in the field, I forget about all the worries of life for those few hours.

Anyway, I guess you could say history/archaeology are two of my interests or hobbies, along with Vintage Cards (of course). It is also great how the three are related - afterall, these cards represent the history of Baseball and we are all "archaeologists" trying to locate the next card on our wantlists!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Empty Re: Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc.

Post by sabrjay Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:12 pm

In Jr and Sr High if we had a choice for topics of what to write a paper on, I almost always did papers on the Mayan, Inca or Aztec civilizations. Also wrote a few on Egypt too. I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures. Explains why I always have the History and Discovery channel on.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Empty Re: Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc.

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:40 pm

Ditto (re: The History and Discovery Channels) - in fact, Heather cannot understand why I always want to watch only those two channels when I do watch TV. When she asks me how I know certain things, I always tell her she would know them as well, if she would watch the channels I watch. I like the Travel Channel as well - they have a neat little series where they hunt for treasures on Wed. nights.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 am

The other channel I watch a lot is Cartoon Network during their Adult Swim timeframe. They finally got rid of Futurama. I was getting bored with seeing the same episodes over and over again. Sadly, the stuff they've gotten to replace it is subpar, at best. I don't know who this Tim & Eric so-called comic duo are, but every show they have done absolutely sucked ass and yet CN keeps giving them another chance with a new, stupid show. I think they are number 4 in past few years. Someone there must like because the audience certainly doesn't.

They used to try and market them Aqua Teen Hunger Force, a show that when you first watch seems incredibly stupid. Once you learn the characters of ATHF, the show makes a lot more sense. CN keeps saying, them a chance like you did ATHF. Sadly, they are just freaking stupid and you'd think they would figure that out after 3 failed shows.

On a bright note, they started airring Astro Boy. I caught the first episode, which helped explain a lot of what I didn't understand about the show. They are also showing Gigantor and some other classic 60s Japanese cartoon.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Jay, I have had to buy Heather some ATHF DVD's - we use to watch it on Adult Swim, after Family Guy. Razz Carl is HILARIOUS on ATHF!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Empty Ha,Ha,...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:38 am

I used to be able to watch the late night shows, before my daughter was born and my son was 3 i worked second shift and got home at 11:30 PM and by the time i got to bed at 2:00AM i watched all the late night shows. It is such a different tv time that late at night. South Park is my absolute fav show of all time next to Green Acres. Now....i am sooooo beat by 9:30 i struggle to stay awake to watch Nip Tuck.

AHHHH...parenthood.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:20 am

Not a huge TV watcher (outside of sports) but I have been on a big Sopranos kick for the past month. Never saw it when it was on TV, so I've been renting them season by season. I'm almost finished season 3 and am loving it. Great acting and I'm big on mob flicks like Goodfellas, Godfather I&II, Scarface, the Departed, etc.

My main hobby outside of collecting is playing the guitar. I started out in my teens playing a lot of rock covers (Zep, Floyd, Doors, Stones) and metal (Metallica mostly) and played in a few bands, but have since moved on to composing my own stuff and experimenting with new techniques and alternate tunings. I guess I've been playing for 13 years now. Shocks me to think about that because I remember learning to play my first tune (sweet emotion by Aerosmith) like it was yesterday! Have owned a bunch of guitars over the years, my favorite being a jet black Gibson Les Paul Custom, and am currently playing an Ovation electo/acoustic (custom elite model).

I'm also big on traveling. After working for a year in Seoul, South Korea, I'm ready for another adventure. Currently planning a month long trip through Europe (still haven't been to Western Europe). I have a friend in London whom I'll be staying with for a week, and will be making extended stops in Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Rome, and Venice as well as some short stops in between. Can't wait. If anyone has any "must see" things to recommend in any of these places (beyond the standard tourist attractions) please let me know.

My other main hobby is playing basketball. I try to play 2-3 mornings a week at the Y and the odd pickup game with friends. Really enjoy that part of my day.

beer
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffins Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:18 am

Ben-
If you're going to Western Europe I'd highly, highly recommend making a 1-2 day stop in Brugges, Belgium. It's one of my favorite 4 cities in the world (Capetown, Fez, and Havana are the other 3), and a don't miss stop. It's a short train ride from Brussels.

Griffins
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Members' other interests/activities/hobbies/etc. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down