Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them

5 posters

Go down

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Empty Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 pm

all?

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Keefen12
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Empty Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:44 pm

For once, I agree with the SGC grade on this card. I have no idea how they arrived at it, but I too think that this card falls short of 100.

Do you agree? Why?

I will be putting my answer together. It is a bit convoluted.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Empty Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Ok, the first problem which I have with this card is the wavered cut on the inside edge of the left border. This makes it look hand cut (which it may be).

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them N43_ew11
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:59 am

That sure is one older Sgc graded card there Gil. Sure would be interesting to see how they review that card today
if sent back in. I wouldnt be surprised to see that grade change if it were sent back in to be looked at.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:34 am

I am far, far less interested in what SGC thinks the appropriate numerical designation associated with this card should be, than I am with what collectors perceive as deficiencies with this issue.

What are your thoughts?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Looking at the card, I think the wavered cut appearance is because the inside frame is not a straight line. But the bottom edge has a slight diamond cut.

I also think that SGC does not guarantee cards before a certain date and this might be one (I think the banner on the front of the flip dates it to this date), I'm thinking it would probably grade a 96 today, mostly due to the slight diamond cut and bottom right corner.
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:32 am

Thats a good eye, I hadn't noticed cut imperfections, but they are there:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Diamnd10Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Diamnd11
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:22 am

I can't comment on edge cuts, etc., but I have seen this card in person and irregardless of the grade, the card is phenomenal.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:20 pm

I think that everyone agrees that this card is an superb example of the best asthetically among almost all common n172s. However, my intent was to focus on the attributes which are lacking that result in the card not getting a 100 rating.

My personal preference appreciates the pronounced borders apparent on the top and left side of the card. And I regret that they are not also included on the right border and caption side. I believe that the promanence of these borders is a chance occurance, associated with the manufacture of the card. Specifically, I think that the manufacturing approach includes:
- obtain player photo
- overlay photo with borders and caption
- re-photograph overlayed image
- attach to backing, cut sheet, package

Although I could be incorrect, this will result in all cards containing this pose to be identical in the card's characteristics. As a check, a second Alcott with this pose is available for inspection here:

http://www.sloateauction.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=355
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:36 pm

When I state that the borders are a "chance" occurance, what I am thinking is that when the border/caption overlay is placed over the player photo, if it does not sit flush with the image, the borders are somewhat raised from the photo's surface. When rephotographed, this results in the borders simulating a 3-D effect, where the player image appears to be "deeper" than the framing.

This Alcott presents this effect on two borders.

A check of David Levin's site, comprising likely more than 1000 Old Judges was conducted to assess how common 2, 3 & 4 raised borders were. They are uncommon. I selected 4 images from the >1000 to represent four raised borders. Then I logged on here, checked the recent pick ups, and found that zouraspm had obtained a better example than any I was able to select.

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Purcel10
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:06 pm

The 3-D effect is more commonly encountered among the n172 subsets:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Hudson11Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Connor12

However, the transitional cards are too infrequently encountered (by me) to draw a conclusion:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Missin10
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 am

Maybe it is me. It really doesn't matter whether the relation to the Old Judge set is real, typographical, a misinterpretation, or whatever. Some cards are outstanding, and David Seaborn is currently contemplating parting with a treasure:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which OJ is the greatest of them Nyceth10

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to add: Doc Bushong was the catcher on the first "World Championship" team, the 1886 St. Louis Browns)
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down