Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need answers on a blank back t205

+3
fisherboy7
sabrjay
arandy
7 posters

Go down

Need answers on a blank back t205 Empty Need answers on a blank back t205

Post by arandy Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi,

While searching Mastro Auctions I ran across this card.

Need answers on a blank back t205 77163aNeed answers on a blank back t205 77163b

The description says that it is a handcut blank t205. My question is why is it handcut? Are they coming up with an excuse for why it looks trimmed?

The other thing that I wanted to know is could this just be a doctored card that somebody took the ink off of?

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Need answers on a blank back t205 Empty Re: Need answers on a blank back t205

Post by sabrjay Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Without actually seeing the card, I can't say anything definitive, but another possibility is that the card is skinned. Kevin S. might have some better insight into this.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Here's the link.
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 pm

arandy wrote:The other thing that I wanted to know is could this just be a doctored card that somebody took the ink off of?

I think the likelihood of that is extremely small. If the card has been tampered with, it's more likely that it was skinned as Jay said. In that case, the thing to look for is a rough texture on the back. But my feeling is that it's a legit blank backed t205. They are very tough but do show up from time to time. I used to own a Carrigan blank back t205 myself.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 pm

I was thinking this was a proof card. Though, I've never seen a proof t205.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 am

From the little shop of horrors...

Skinned (actually it's peeled) would show up as a rough ueven back. Although this can be smoothed out, it would still be somewhat rough in spots. This one looks too smooth for that.

True skinning is typically done to thicker layered stock cards like Goudey's. As collectors we should get in the habit of referring to thin stock cards with false blank backs as being "peeled."

Removing the ink from the back only is very difficult (close to but not impossible) without harming the front as well. Also depends on the colors used.

Ah...but there is the classic rebacking, which is the term used but may not be what is actually done to the card Wink . A new technique takes tons of skill and a crazy amount of steps but when done correctly (50/50 shot) you just can't tell. It is seamless, stainless, has vintage cuts and can soak without damage. It would look like the T205. Doubt that has been done here though.

And yes, "hand-cut" is a good play on words to get around a trimmed card.

As said in an earlier post, it would need to be seen in person to be certain.

Just my 2 cents!
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 am

arandy wrote:I was thinking this was a proof card. Though, I've never seen a proof t205.

People like to throw around the term "proof" pretty loosely. This one isn't a proof, just a blank backed t205. Typically what you'll see on a proof are cross hatching marks on all four borders, like on a T206 or T3 proof. Proofs are 1/1 test issues that used cross hatchings for alignment of the colors to make sure everything looked right before putting the card into mass production. Some t206 proofs have the player and team caption while others do not.

ALL proofs are blank backed, but NOT all blanked back cards are proofs. I've never seen, nor heard of, a T205 proof before...but my guess is that that they existed and were destroyed at the factory.

Here's a scan of my t206 proof for reference (apologies for the redundancy, I've shown this card many times before):

Need answers on a blank back t205 T206PROOF2
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Tatum Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:42 am

The hand cut card is on thinner stock and came from an advertising display for the tobacco company! Smile

Art Tatum
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 am

Art Tatum wrote:The hand cut card is on thinner stock and came from an advertising display for the tobacco company! Smile

Another possibility that I hadn't considered. Wouldn't a full, uncut t205 ad sheet be a sight to behold! Shocked
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Need answers on a blank back t205 Empty Need answers on a blank back t205

Post by shammus Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 am

Like others have been saying, this is more than likely not a proof, just a blank-backed card. These are very tough to come by but do exist for a good portion of the more popular "t" sets. I've seen t204s with blank backs (heck, even a blank front!!), t206s, t205s, 1909 Obaks and t207s. I've seen more t207s show up with a blank back than these other issues though.

A couple reasons for this -

1. The card was part of a sheet that simply missed the "pass" during the printing process that would have added the back print to the card. This would be similar to cards that miss "color passes" that we've all seen in various sets (ie...t206, t210, e90-3, e94, etc...) where a specific card that you normally find with a green background, for example, all of a sudden shows up with a bright blue one.

2. The card, if made from a different stock, could have simply been a part of an advertising sheet, a "notebook", a box or anything else that had the fronts of the cards printed on it. These would all be handcut variants of the actual issue. These show up every now and again from a wide variety of different sets. I've seen handcut e95s, e97s, e93s, n162s, e107s, Obaks, and on and on....

Either way, they're neat cards to collect!

shammus
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the help. I did have one final question. How can you tell if this is a genuine card and not from a notebook cover?

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by asoriano Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:45 am

I don't think I have ever seen a T205 from a notebook cover.
asoriano
asoriano
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Need answers on a blank back t205 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Need answers on a blank back t205 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:02 pm

I have never seen a notebook either. From the photos, it looks like it is made of the same type of card stock that genuine t205's are made of. I think it's real bt trimmed.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down