Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's hot and what's not in prewar cards?

+9
3-2-count
nolemmings
ItsOnlyGil
Square_Frame_Ramly
psacollector
Bicem
crazylocomerk
the-illini
fisherboy7
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's hot and what's not in prewar cards?

Post by cccc Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:28 am

the rosetta stone of t206s...that's really scarce! 45k is a bargain compare to what the rosetta stone goes for.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's hot and what's not in prewar cards?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:12 am

Hot = SGC10 OJs
Cold = SGC20, 30 + 40 OJs
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:25 pm

What's not hot = inexpensive strip cards, particularly those under $20 a piece.
What's likely to become hotter = inexpensive strip cards, particularly those under $20 a piece.
Such as:
$12 W502 "Game Backs"

$10 Universal Toy & Novelty

$10 W512

$10 W513

$12 W514

$10 W515-1 & W515-2

$11 W516 (3 sets)

$15 W517 Strip Cards

$12 W519 (3 sets)

$10 W520

$11 W521

$11 W522

$14 Sports Drawings

$11 W551

$1 Baseball Position Drawings

$20 W554

$9 W560

$15 W565

$12 W572

$16 W573

$14 W574

$8 W575 (2 sets)

$2 Callahan HOF Set

$12 W590 Strip Cards

$14 Sports Exchange Miniatures

$11 Sports Exchange All-Stars

$10 Reds Team Issues

$18 W9316

This is a lot of cards with upside potential. For those who remember before e-cards became hot, they were just as poorly thought of as these ugly (and some not so ugly) cards are thought of today.
And the currently higher priced ones also have good upside potential, just like the then higher priced e-cards did. These include the Big Heads, w517 minis, Leader Novelty, and many others.

So, stock up; and in three years - others may wish they made the move too. Certainly you don't forsee the bottom dropping out of the unpopular strip card market do you? Prices on these are not likely to plummet anytime soon.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:00 pm

ItsOnlyGil wrote:$10 Universal Toy & Novelty
$14 W574
$8 W575 (2 sets)

Find me a bunch of these at the quoted prices Gil, and I'll be a happy man!

edited to add: I agree in principle that strip cards are generally good buys. Especially the more difficult issues. But I doubt they'll ever rise the way caramels did simply because they lack the visual appeal that the E cards possess.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:53 pm

but as Gil pointed out, e-cards used to be considered ugly too. In the 80s, that was the big reason no one wanted them. They thought they were ugly. Granted, some are ugly, but there are some ugly e-cards too. The biggest problem strip cards suffer from right now is that the slabbers just don't know how to deal with them. Should give them a technical grade, or they just them all an AUTH. Until that gets resolved, strip cards won't get any love from the registry geeks, which means increased prices for any set they chase.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What's hot and what's not in prewar cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:34 pm

Ben, I did not generate the prices, I only copied the work of another.
Not all strip card sets are ugly, but even when they are; there is a certain beauty in the cacophony you see when several are accumulated in a player set. I am assembling a strip card Walter Johnson and Rogers Hornsby players sets right now.
Grading may be a major stumbling block for this group of cards, as was pointed ou by Jay. But if faced with sufficient submissions, I bet they will work something out.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2