Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition.

+8
terjung
sabrjay
cccc
bowlingshoeguy
glenv
Bicem
ullmandds
nbv4
12 posters

Go down

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Empty Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition.

Post by nbv4 Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 am

I'm curious, does anyone know of any genuine really old cards out there that survive to this day in 9/10 or 10/10 condition? What about cards before WWI?

nbv4
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Empty Re: Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition.

Post by ullmandds Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:59 am

sure...they're out there! There are plenty of 9/10 T206's...ans plenty of nm cards from pre-wwI...pre 1900.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Empty Re: Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition.

Post by Bicem Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 am

yep, they're called trimmed.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:55 am

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 am

This is the highest graded pre-WWII card I have owned:

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. T202jb10

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:28 am

1915 cracker jacks were redeemed in complete factory sets so there are definite legit 9s out there. there has been a few nice finds and sgc even graded a complete set with 8s and 9s (even 1 or 2 10s?) including a very high 8 or 9 jax if i remember correctly a few years back.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm

I think the Jax was 98 and the Cobb 96. The amazing thing about those cards is that they were 1914.

There are a lot of t206s in 9 and 10 holders. Many come from the Hall collection and were labeled as such. It is well known in the hobby that most of those cards are trimmed so when they resubmitted for grading PSA does not carry over the Hall Collection designation because of the stigma attached to that label.

From what I understand, most of the Hall collection originated from the Copeland collection which was notorious for the large number of trimmed cards in the collection. Mind you, the trimming was not hack job trimming, but micro trimming to take an Ex/Mt to Mint or oversized cards trimmed down. When I set up at big shows in the late 80s there were always people searching my t206s for oversized cards or looking to buy very low grade Goudeys to pulp for corner builds.

You never hear about corner rebuilds so I'm guessing the TPGs haven't figured out how to detect this guy's work yet.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:47 pm

The game cards (national and tom barker) are the most commonly found in extremely high grade (9's and 10's). Occasionally you will find a fan craze up there as well.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 am

Bicem wrote:yep, they're called trimmed.

Trim this! Very Happy

Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Us36353

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:06 am

phlflyer1 wrote:
Bicem wrote:yep, they're called trimmed.

Trim this! Very Happy

ha ha... the exception that proves the rule. I know the story on your greenies, now those ain't trimmed!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:21 pm

sabrjay wrote:I think the Jax was 98 and the Cobb 96. The amazing thing about those cards is that they were 1914.

There are a lot of t206s in 9 and 10 holders. Many come from the Hall collection and were labeled as such. It is well known in the hobby that most of those cards are trimmed so when they resubmitted for grading PSA does not carry over the Hall Collection designation because of the stigma attached to that label.

From what I understand, most of the Hall collection originated from the Copeland collection which was notorious for the large number of trimmed cards in the collection. Mind you, the trimming was not hack job trimming, but micro trimming to take an Ex/Mt to Mint or oversized cards trimmed down. When I set up at big shows in the late 80s there were always people searching my t206s for oversized cards or looking to buy very low grade Goudeys to pulp for corner builds.

You never hear about corner rebuilds so I'm guessing the TPGs haven't figured out how to detect this guy's work yet.

Do you mean the Harris collection Jay? I know those are generally assumed to be trimmed...
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Yeah, that's it, Harris. Since I avoid t206s and PSA in general it's not something I have to worry about so the memory gets fuzzy quick.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Whats the pre-WWII card thats in the best condition. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ptowncoug3012 Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:03 am

The M116 Fletcher graded out as SGC 96. The pic is pre-slab. The other M116s only scored between 84 and 92 Sad
http://howaboutdemcougs.blogspot.com/

ptowncoug3012
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down