Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds...

+3
cmoking
cccc
Square_Frame_Ramly
7 posters

Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Just got my web site updated with all the M116 Blue Backgrounds i have acquired in the last few weeks. After not getting the T204 Square Dineen PSA 3 i decided to try for my favorite looking cards. I hope to get all 24 by the end of 2008. righton

http://www.geocities.com/mdt67/index

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Re: Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds...

Post by cccc Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:38 pm

good luck marky mark...u got the 2nd most expensive out of the way. 24>1, quantity over quality in this case?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty yes...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 pm

The Wagner will be the last card i get. Although, there is one on Ebay store (SGC 20) but i would at least like a PSA 2.

The Matty Blue will be tough to get also.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Re: Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds...

Post by cmoking Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:32 pm

I thought you had the complete blue background set already. Darn it, that's any competitor for these cards Sad

edited...I should have written: "that's another competitor for these cards"

Last edited by cmoking on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Ha,Ha...Cmoking

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:44 pm

no, never had this many. i did try for the master M116 set but the funds were never there.

I have a few doubles if you would like to trade for any i don't have.

I believe i sold your wife a Bender Blue backgound last year. does she still have it?

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:12 am

Square_Frame_Ramly wrote:I believe i sold your wife a Bender Blue backgound last year. does she still have it?

Ha, I used her ebay account for a bit because I had my snipe account linked to hers...now I have my own. Some got miffed everytime she got a package in the mail and it was just cards. I'll PM you about your dupes.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Thats funny King...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:23 am

my wife likes to get packages in the mail, but a different kind of cardboard. She scrapbooks!!!! insane

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:55 am

I've got a daughter who does that Mark.
Crazy breed. Lotsa artsy/craftsy hardware, tools, supplies, and equipment.
Often thought if toned down appropriately, could be useful for displaying cards.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Gil...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:19 am

yes, what a business scapbooking is. My wife goes to A.C. Moore and leaves with a few things, she tells me she spent $80. insane

But then again, if i tell her i spent $2,000 on a Cobb baseball card she says "Who's Cobb, does he play for the Redsox?" lol!

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds...

Post by shammus Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:19 am

This is a terrific little niche set to work on Mark. Love the bright vivid, blue color and when you get a bunch of these in a pile on the floor or scans of them on your website, they look really cool. The blue portraits and uniform portrait pose give them a really neat look when you see a bunch together. Very interesting that some have some green in the background. Anyone know why that is?

Anyway, thought I'd show a few of mine off as I've been collecting this subset a long time and have 20/24 of the cards (yeah, I've chickened out when it comes to the three biggies and then the Lajoie). What's neat is you can find some really interesting blues if you stick with it long enough. The first group is my main "set in progress here". The Gibson is a proof and is a thinner card with no caption and a blank back. Kind of a neat addition to this set. Notice there are several with the green gradients in the background. Yeah, I realize i said I have 20 players and you only see 19 here. I'll get to card #20 in a second....

I've never seen advertisement pieces of the pastel m116s. The very few I've seen have only been with the blue background. These ad pieces are about 3 times as thick as the normal cards with a heavy cardboard looking blank back. Very neat items. I was lucky enough to come across a few uncut pieces a while back. I also have six pieces that were cut up. I had to win these six one at a time on Ebay but I did so thinking they might form a puzzle of sorts. I was pleasently surprised to see that they did all fit together despite the crude "hack-job" that took place to seperate them.

I no longer have the Wagner and Matty uncut groups of three that you see but I do still have the one with Chance. I also have a second Chance as one of the cut up groups of six. Do you think that since I have two ad pieces of Chance that this counts towards my set of 24 so I don't have to bother trying to find an actual card? Smile

Hope you enjoy these, like I said, really neat cards to have!

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Group10

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... M116ad10
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Panel10

shammus
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Very nice Brian....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 am

Yes, i remember when the guy had those ad pieces cut up on Ebay. Those ad pieces remind me of the E107 type 2 cards.

Nice win. righton

I would have to guess, the person who did the paintings of the Blues wanted to try something different and choose to add Green on some and no green on others. That little bit of green makes the image stand out very nice. I wish the Bender had that green but alas its just the blue in back.

From what i gather, an artist hand colored the proofs then they made copies to produce the final product.

I have a goal of at least getting 23/24 by end of 2008, the Wagner may be last, but being a stay at home dad with the only income coming from selling cards i may have to push that up a year. laughing

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty blue M-116's

Post by Art Tatum Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:23 am

Where did you get the collection of blues from Mark?
I have a Matty but its not certified and would be a low end 5.

Art Tatum
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Hi Art...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:44 am

I picked them up from various collectors and a few from Ebay....are you looking to sell the Matty M116?

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Blue by you

Post by Art Tatum Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:19 pm

No I have a huge Matty plyer collection cookin

what other collectors have/had a bunch of these you acquired them from?
who else collects them?

AT

Art Tatum
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty right now...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:45 pm

The M116 cards are not sought after since most people go after T cards and E cards. I hope after i complete the 24 cards the values shoot up 200% Razz

I love the set because they are all portrait cards.

A few i got thru ebay but most thru privats deals.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by mwieder Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Mark - cool subset idea. Any reason you picked the blues over the pastels? I've heard that the series 2 pastels are even more difficult then the series 1 blues.

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

Going after M116 Sporting Life Blue backgrounds... Empty Hi Matt...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 pm

I think that's your first name...I love the Blue color and all M116 cards are portraits so those are the main reasons. Yes, i also did hear about the others series but i have owned many M116 cards, even a Hans Wagner PSA 4 with the "over 300 subjects" which i sold for insane money ($6,000). The Blue backgrounds have always been my favorite and the reason they made the 1st series with Blue Backgrounds was because the 24 players were stars of the era.

My website has been updated and i now have 19 of the 24.

http://www.geocities.com/mdt67/index

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down