Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often are there new finds? How often in the future?

+3
ItsOnlyGil
sabrjay
asphaltman76
7 posters

Go down

How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Empty How often are there new finds? How often in the future?

Post by asphaltman76 Sun May 18, 2008 2:09 am

Curious with any of the hobby vets how often there have been new discoveries over the past 10-20 years. I'm not talking about a group of M131's, I'm talking about maybe a new player within a set or even a completely new issue discovery altogether?

Would love to know what sets were discovered within the past 20 or so years...and does anyone expect much more of the same in the coming years?
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Empty Re: How often are there new finds? How often in the future?

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 4:01 am

There are more uncatalogued cards added to sets every year than people think, mainly because they rarely get publicized unless it's a card of a key HOFer. There are new cards added to the e104-3 set every few years, but almost never hear about it. If a Cobb or a Mathewson are ever discoved, it be major hobby news.

Since my return to the 6 years ago, I've had 4 uncatalgued cards pass thru my collection. Unlike many collectors, I did not hide these cards from public knowledge and made them public knowledge.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Empty Re: How often are there new finds? How often in the future?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun May 18, 2008 5:49 am

I have never understood the "hide them" philosophy. I have heard that it involves the fear of devaluation if the card is identified (and perhaps priced) in a guide.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sun May 18, 2008 12:05 pm

I guess going off my memory, weren't the e105's a fairly recent find? I was thinking maybe the set was found around 1980 or so?
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 12:18 pm

e105s have always been known, as they were part of Burdick's original ACC. There was a fairly large find of thse cards around 1990 by Mark Macrae. All the cards were crease free and most the cards were of Lajoie, Young, Bescher and I think Knight was the other.

Any set that you see list was a w-unc, e-unc, etc is a set that discovered after the last edition of the ACC was published.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 18, 2008 1:46 pm

asphaltman76 wrote:I guess going off my memory, weren't the e105's a fairly recent find? I was thinking maybe the set was found around 1980 or so?

You're probably thinking about Tango Eggs, Dave. That was a fairly recent set discovery. Maybe someone can fill us in on the details of that find.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 2:01 pm

If somene can scan the page from the REA auction a few years back, he gives a detailed account of the history of the cards. If I remember right, that lot was the last of the cards to come from the family that brought the cards to light in the hobby.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Your right Ben I was thinking the Tango's...not the Mello Mints
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Here's the Tango story....from the REA archives:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/358.html
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I liked the reward offered for the mythical cards of the set. The money Rob offered wasn't to purchase cards, simply the chance to examine and verify the existance of the cards. Many myths about the origins and who found these cards were exposed and disspelled when this lot was put up for auction.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm

ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun May 18, 2008 7:03 pm

scott brockelman had the e105s find, lots of youngs and lajoies and knights etc etc.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm

So Brockleman had a find exactly mirroring Macrae's find?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Wed May 21, 2008 1:06 am

On the topic of E105s, here is the only Tinker that I have ever seen and although I don't endorse population reports, it is the only graded example.

How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? E105tinkergraded

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100How often are there new finds?    How often in the future? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Sat May 24, 2008 12:00 am

The Mello Mint Tinker is a great card. Congratulations on your find!
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down