Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest All-Time Player-Manager?

+5
Bosox Blair
pariah1107
seablaster
TheBig6
LucasRiley
9 posters

Go down

Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Empty Greatest All-Time Player-Manager?

Post by LucasRiley Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:01 am

Mind you, I don't really have a dog in this fight, but who would our members suggest is the greatest all-time player-manager in MLB history? Keeping in mind that this is a question of overall contribution; if he was a great player and a lousy manager (i.e., Cobb), that impairs his status, as does being a great manager but a lousy player (i.e., Weaver). But if he combined these attributes, by all means he's worthy of consideration. I'll throw out Anson, Boudreau, Cochrane, Durocher, McGraw, and Speaker as starters, but I asset no winner. I'm simply looking to spark debate.

Thoughts?
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Empty Re: Greatest All-Time Player-Manager?

Post by TheBig6 Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:38 am

My first thought was Chance
4 NL Pennants, 2 World Championships
While batting .296 lifetime with over 400 stolen bases and a stellar Fielding PCt.
Questionable HOF stats as a player but combine the Playing stats with Managing accomplishments makes for a stellar combo.
And he gets a couple points for the poem Very Happy
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:11 pm

I don't know how much consideration Pete Rose gets in this discussion.  Three WS titles as a player...I think he had a winning record with the Reds, but no pennants.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:01 pm

I'll add, Lou Piniella. Though not the Greatest of All-Time, an underrated player, and manager: 1,700 hits in 15 seasons (.291 avg.) despite being a spot assignment player for half his career, and two World Series titles. As a manager, more than 1,800 wins, a World Series title, and anyone who can guide the Mariners to the playoffs gets my vote.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 pm

I thought Player manager meant exactually that.
He managed while playing regularly in the field.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:16 pm

TheBig6 wrote:My first thought was Chance
4 NL Pennants, 2 World Championships
While batting .296 lifetime with over 400 stolen bases and a stellar Fielding PCt.
Questionable HOF stats as a player but combine the Playing stats with Managing accomplishments makes for a stellar combo.
And he gets a couple points for the poem Very Happy
My first thought too! The Peerless Leader!

But some consideration has to go to Bill Carrigan...couple World Series there too.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Joe Torre deserves some consideration too, IMO. Played three positions fairly well, had 2342 hits, .297 lifetime BA, 252 HRs, 1185 RBI, and an MVP. Also was an excellent zookeeper in New York--4 rings.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 pm

When I hear player/manager I also think someone that was playing in the field and managing the team at the same time.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:04 pm

I do too, except that the OP gave Earl Weaver as an example, who I doubt ever did both at once.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:23 pm

yeah, when he mentioned Weaver, that kind of threw me.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, I apologize. I should clarified between doing both at once, or just having done both whether separately or simultaneously. I was thinking of the latter; played in the Majors at some point, and managed in the Majors at some point. Weaver was a bad example, since he had no Major League playing career.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 pm

I would think John McGraw would be the best of what you are looking for. Top notch manager and one of the better players in his day.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:16 am

I agree that a "player-manager" normally refers to an everyday player who also manages the team. One not yet mentioned was Stanley "Bucky" Harris, who led the Washington Senators to their only World Championship in 1924 in his first year as player-manager.
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 am

i'll throw fred clarke in there. baseball is so unique, you can be a great player and manager simultaneously. hoping to see somebody progressive with bill james' mind and miggy cabrera's hitting prowess excel in both some day.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Greatest All-Time Player-Manager? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down