Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May Pickups

+10
BigGuy219
pariah1107
t206head
nolemmings
cccc
Bosox Blair
LucasRiley
ullmandds
Z-NUT
glenv
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

May Pickups - Page 2 Empty Re: May Pickups

Post by nolemmings Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Definitely a man whose cards are on the move lately

Are you talking about Pete or Babe?
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 25, 2013 12:48 am

ha ha...thanks chris...nothing but blue chips for my big $$$$ these days!!!!!! No more big risks like lowdy!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat May 25, 2013 1:01 am

but you can always blame Lowdy on your drinking that night beer
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat May 25, 2013 2:14 am

Booze and bidding definitely don't mix. But like a lot of people, I was surprised the lowdy went for what it did. It was too quick to turn over the card. I've made the same mistake myself before - it can be an expensive mistake to make.

So like you, Pete, I only do blue chip cards as well - okay, not as blue chip as a Babe Ruth, but OJ HOFers are fairly blue chip, I guess. All I can say is... life goes on. Do a few extra root canals and you'll make up the funds.

One more thing - in the future if anyone has a card to flip, take my advice and do not consign it to the same auction house, even if it is REA! For some reason that is like putting a hex on the card... when it is in a different auction house, the card at least feels somewhat different to the bidders... just something psychological, I think.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 25, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree with you Jamie...I sold too soon...and I should NOT have gone with REA!!!!!! I was kinda pissed there were 2 other lowdy's in the auction as well...had I known that...I never would have consigned! Life goes on!

Additionally...my bids were placed before I got really drunk...so alcohol was NOT a factor!!!!! bananarama
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Ordinarily I don't care for more common issues such as this Goudey Ruth...but the fact that it is the more rare canadian version appealed to me...despite the lower value. Someday I will learn that rarity doesn't equate to value!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 pm

ullmandds wrote:I agree with you Jamie...I sold too soon...and I should NOT have gone with REA!!!!!! I was kinda pissed there were 2 other lowdy's in the auction as well...had I known that...I never would have consigned! Life goes on!

Additionally...my bids were placed before I got really drunk...so alcohol was NOT a factor!!!!! bananarama

Yeah, I don't think that anyone would have predicted that the PSA 7 Lowdy would only go for 1k less than yours... must have been some Set Reg people on that.

Whenever there's a new find, it seems the cards often go for a premium (unless the find is so massive that it depresses the price, like E98 Swamp find). The REA OJ's that we're new finds also went very high - the McPhee's and N173 Welch cards. I thought that maybe the OJ market had rebounded, but maybe it was just because they were new finds... time will tell.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 am

ullmandds wrote:Ordinarily I don't care for more common issues such as this Goudey Ruth...but the fact that it is the more rare canadian version appealed to me...despite the lower value. Someday I will learn that rarity doesn't equate to value!!!!

So that Ruth is the '34 World Wide Gum? Nicely done, sir. That card is a major item on my collecting to-do checklist. As Mike Myers put it in Wayne's World, "It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine."
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 am

Yup...the less desirable...wwg...au francais!!
!May Pickups - Page 2 Img81510
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Mon May 27, 2013 12:48 am

In retrospect, you should have said, "I'll never sell!1!!!111 Muahahaha!11!!1!!"

Then on any forum where it says, "Post your favorite card." or "Post a unique card." or whatever, you should have posted the Lowdermilk.

But, still always been, "I'll take it to my grave!@1111!!1"

Then it would have slowly become a hobby legend, locked away in the collection of an eccentric northwest dentist who "never sells."

At some point a ridiculous offer would have come.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon May 27, 2013 1:35 am

like 20-30 yr down the road?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon May 27, 2013 5:08 am

nevermind was late last night... yawn
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed May 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Pete, I just read where you got the card across the street.

Have you been caught up in some scam?!
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 29, 2013 7:45 pm

God i hope not...i cant see anything to lead me to think its fake...its off to sgc shortly!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 pm

good luck pete, seems like you're making a ruth run. psa did reject the guy's goudey cobb already which he claimed was from his grandfather.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Pete, get him in 'the chair' and repeatedly ask him, "is it safe?"
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 30, 2013 12:50 am

Oh IT WILL NOT be safe!!!!!

I dont jnow guys...that cobb suposedly was rejected for " altered stock" whatever that means. But not 1 collector...not 1 of many veterans questioned its authenticity?! I will be shocked if the babe is fake...it doesnt look altered either...nice even wear...nice borders.

The thing that initially concerned me was the front isnt as crisp as other 33 goudeys i compared it to...but the wwg's ive seen have similar printing effect. I will know for sure by fri hopefully...im crossing my fingers!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

May Pickups - Page 2 Empty From Heritage

Post by nolemmings Thu May 30, 2013 2:54 am

This one really does not fit in my current collection but I really liked it--it's Buck Ewing's brother and it's even nicer in person:
May Pickups - Page 2 Img442
I'm really hoping it's a Player's League uniform but I asked around a little and no one offered an opinion. Long John played for the New York Player's League team in 1890 and the New York National League team the following year--so I guess it could be either one. I'm far from a scholar on the Player's League and/or nineteenth century uniforms. Either way, this big boy is a beauty.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 am

Pete, FWIW, it looks good to me.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Thu May 30, 2013 3:30 am

Todd, really nice cab, I probably should have bid you up. Smile

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 am

awesome cab!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

todd...awesome image!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Beautiful cabinet.

With a nickname like that I'm certain he was a hit with the ladies.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks guys. I can't believe how sharp it looks, and although I can read an auction description, I had no idea it was so large. It's basically the size of an m101-6--a touch narrower, but slightly taller (with the mount).
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Just asked John Thorn his thoughts and he provided a link to an 1892 NY NL team photo. Looks like it would be a NL uniform.

May Pickups - Page 2 2115333959_3e9f608efe
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
May Pickups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100May Pickups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next