Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans)

+6
ullmandds
bowlingshoeguy
cccc
jbonie
Rich
Theo_450
10 posters

Go down

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Empty New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans)

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 am

Thought I would start a fresh thread. The other one was getting deep. I am not bragging, you fellows have requested to see scans, and I want to pay you back for all the help you have given me,so here we go!

Please let me know if I have mis-identified any of these cards!

Here are the E93s.

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E93bac10

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E93fro10
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Empty Re: New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans)

Post by Rich Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:06 am

Great cards, very nice to see what you have. Be careful about picking an auction house, pick an auction that has been around for at least five+ years. Biggest mistake I have ever made was consigning to Love of Game auctions. Very poor results and have not been paid yet. I would have done much better on Ebay. Good Luck

Rich
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 am

Nice cards, a Mathewson and a Cy Young. Interesting article on Hal Chase in the NY Times today. Basically said he was a total douchebag, but it's a great read. Won't effect the value of your card. Calling Pete, he is the E93 wizard, I don't know enough about the cards to give values, but they are nice for sure. They all look around VG, you could google results for SGC 40's and PSA 3's to get an idea of the value. Looks like you've done pretty well! Congrats.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 am

Rich wrote:Great cards, very nice to see what you have. Be careful about picking an auction house, pick an auction that has been around for at least five+ years. Biggest mistake I have ever made was consigning to Love of Game auctions. Very poor results and have not been paid yet. I would have done much better on Ebay. Good Luck

I appeciate the advice, I am trying to be diligent about interviewing potential AHs. Here are some more, E96:

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E96bac10

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E96fro10
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:43 am

jbonie wrote:Nice cards, a Mathewson and a Cy Young. Interesting article on Hal Chase in the NY Times today. Basically said he was a total douchebag, but it's a great read. Won't effect the value of your card. Calling Pete, he is the E93 wizard, I don't know enough about the cards to give values, but they are nice for sure. They all look around VG, you could google results for SGC 40's and PSA 3's to get an idea of the value. Looks like you've done pretty well! Congrats.

Been pretty lucky I think. I would like Pete's input. I am enjoying getting back into the hobby. Here is some stuff I have questions about. I think the first four are T202 triple folders that have been cut up (any value?). They have been that way since I have seen them. And then some more CJs. The Sallee has pencil writing on it, I think it is probably the name of the kid who collected it. Would you get one like that graded? The Chance and the Zeider are 14s, the others are 15s.

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) T202_110

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) T202_112

Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 am

How come the Cy Young card (a pitcher) is of him batting? That doesn't really make sense.

A few more, E90-1, E92, and two T205?? Not sure about those last two. Talk about some banged up cards, looks like I've been carrying some of them around in my back pocket for 50 years.

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E90-1_10

New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) E90-1_11
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 am

the e93s are nice, my personal favorite. young is the best of the bunch at g/vg ($500-$600), matty looks to be fair but should fetch around that price. waddell is the next best card.

e96s are so so, brown and jennings should go for $100-$150, the rest look like commons in g/vg shape.

cjs are great. chance only appears in the '14 version, should fetch $300-$500, or could be more since the cj market is volatile (in a good way) right now. obviously matty, plank, and speaker are huge cards. they look clean, but due to the paper stock creases and wrinkles are hard to make out from scans. i would say the group of 3 is about 1500-2000, and i think that's a low estimate.

i don't know anything about t202 panels, heard they could be collectible even though they've been perforated from the middle panel.

edit: i placed low estimates on the e93s/cjs because i want you to rather be pleasantly surprised than overly optimistic.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 am

cccc wrote:the e93s are nice, my personal favorite. young is the best of the bunch at g/vg ($500-$600), matty looks to be fair but should fetch around that price. waddell is the next best card.

e96s are so so, brown and jennings should go for $100-$150, the rest look like commons in g/vg shape.

cjs are great. chance only appears in the '14 version, should fetch $300-$500, or could be more since the cj market is volatile (in a good way) right now. obviously matty, plank, and speaker are huge cards. they look clean, but due to the paper stock creases and wrinkles are hard to make out from scans. i would say the group of 3 is about 1500-2000, and i think that's a low estimate.

i don't know anything about t202 panels, heard they could be collectible even though they've been perforated from the middle panel.

edit: i placed low estimates on the e93s/cjs because i want you to rather be pleasantly surprised than overly optimistic.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really appriciate you guys, and I hope you had fun looking at some of the cards!
I know from experience that something is only as valuable as what someone will actually pay for it, but your thoughts help me get a ball park of what I have.

I reckon I am just going to go with the flow and let the chips fall where they may. Or maybe I'll just stick them back in the safe and keep on collecting!
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 am

Ted,

The T202 end panels do have some value in the HOfers, never figured out why you would collect them when the originals are readily available and cost that much more.

Great cards fun to see.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Nice cards...quan is a primo caramel guy and his advice is spot on. To me the cj chance/matty are the toughest and most desriable cards.

I would:

Grade e93 hofers and consign them...either sell all a partial set all together or sell commons on ebay/bst

Grade t206's ganley and chance and consign...sell rest on bst/ebay

Consign e96's as partial set...let auction house grade if they want...or sell raw on ebay/bst...e96's arent terribly popular

Grade cj matty speaker and chance and consign...sell reat on bst.

If you dont want to sell any yourself consign them all to ah that will not charge you a penny in fees.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 pm

To add Theo...nice collection...it really is...BUT...caramels like e96 and to a lesser degree e93 are kinda cold these days?! You would have been better off if all of your vintage cards were T206...as so many people are collecting them these days. The t206 ganley is desirable as it has EPDG back and is a tougher common...and the chance with pb back is a little tougher than piedmont/SC.

But honestly hof caramel cards like e90-1 matty aren't selling very well these days esp in low grade?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:12 pm

E cards used to be considered exotic by collectors while T206's were seen as boring. It is just the whims of collectors, surely it will come full cycle eventually. But for now, T206's are hot and that doesn't look to change in the immediate future.

But even still, there is nothing wrong with selling the cards. Cash is cash, and no one knows what will really happen to prices in the future. It's up to you!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Ted,

The T202 end panels do have some value in the HOfers, never figured out why you would collect them when the originals are readily available and cost that much more.

Great cards fun to see.

Lee

That's the way they were when I got them. I had trouble identifying them way back when, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a triple folder.
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by DeanH4 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Great cards! I wish I had some good advice for you but you probably are not going to get any better than what these guys have already offered. They know their stuff for sure. Congrats and good luck.

DeanH4
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 pm

jbonie wrote:Interesting article on Hal Chase in the NY Times today. Basically said he was a total douchebag...

Hi Jamie,

Someone printed this as news??? LOL - pretty much all baseball fans 100 years ago would have said this back then. There's a reason he can't get a sniff of the Hall of Fame... Evil or Very Mad

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Chris buckler is selling numerous similar cards on the other board/ebay...u can get an idea re asking prices.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:
jbonie wrote:Interesting article on Hal Chase in the NY Times today. Basically said he was a total douchebag...

Hi Jamie,

Someone printed this as news??? LOL - pretty much all baseball fans 100 years ago would have said this back then. There's a reason he can't get a sniff of the Hall of Fame... Evil or Very Mad

Absolutely Blair! He and the Vernon Tigers ruined the PCL in 1919. The much more publicized Black Sox scandal dominated baseball press but Chase and others conspired to ruin the PCL that same year (after he was implicated in other MLB gambling spectacles). Paid off umpires and players to "throw" games. Relatively unknown, but the PCL scandal was widespread.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Wow. Look what I've missed. Spent too much time in the draft threads.

That's some really nice stuff.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:53 pm

pariah1107 wrote:
Bosox Blair wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Absolutely Blair! He and the Vernon Tigers ruined the PCL in 1919. The much more publicized Black Sox scandal dominated baseball press but Chase and others conspired to ruin the PCL that same year (after he was implicated in other MLB gambling spectacles). Paid off umpires and players to "throw" games. Relatively unknown, but the PCL scandal was widespread.

Oh I see - the PCL scandal is the thing many don't know about...old Chase was a lowlife scoundrel!!! nono
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100New Guy 2.0 (VINTAGE scans) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 am

Bosox Blair wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Hehe, well, it was news to me, Blair... I wasn't too up on my Hal Chase history. But I think it's great that the NYTimes is willing to publish these types of articles from time to time for the rest of us ignoramuses. Smile
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down