Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired

+5
sabrjay
scott elkins
nolemmings
ItsOnlyGil
the-illini
9 posters

Go down

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Empty Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired

Post by the-illini Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Thought I would share my recent acquisition with the board - a group of 43 Star Player Candy cards with Ruth, Cobb and 11 other HOFers (Collins, Speaker, Haines, Heilmann, Cuyler, Sewell, Lyons, Frisch, Bancroft, Coveleskie and Pie Traynor). This represents the largest grouping of SPC's ever sold at one time to my knowledge and is definitely one of the most exciting card purchases I have ever made!!! What makes it even more exciting is the overall condition of the cards, which average an overall solid VG for this extremely condition-sensitive set.

I bought these from a consignor in Philadelphia. He indicated that he was given these to sell by an older woman who had in turn recieved them from a 98 year old gentleman who had recently passed away. He believed that the gentleman had owned these his whole life and collected them as a child based on the information the woman shared with him. We negotiated a deal and I drove to Phila (a ridiculously long drive for me that I hope to never repeat) to inspect the cards first-hand and complete the transaction.

I will share some scans with the group later tonight when I get an opportunity - still a little punch drunk from the drive! I am not sure what I will do with them yet, but I love this set and have actively tried to get examples from it for a while now, so the idea of having landed almost 2/3 of the set in one swoop makes the idea of keeping them very enticing!
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Empty Re: Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Agreed.
Pennsylvania is a huge state to drive across.
And Star Player cards are tremendous !
The closest I have is a Williards, which ain't exactly close to the same borders.
Congrats !
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Empty Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired

Post by nolemmings Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 pm

Huge attaboy Chris!! 'cept the part about keeping them to yourself.

Maybe sell just a card or two for type to, oh, I don't know, say the first one here to ask. So can I have one? righton

You must have been on adrenaline, especially that last 100 miles or so. Glad it worked out for you.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Empty Re: Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired

Post by scott elkins Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:08 pm

This sounds super - can't wait to see scans! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Congrats, great pick up. bananarama

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Empty Couple of scans

Post by the-illini Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:10 am

Here are a couple (well 4) scans of some of the SPCs. The Cobb and Collins are probably two of the lesser-conditioned cards in the group (unfortunately) but they still present really well.

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Cobb11

[Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Cuyler10

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Ruth10

Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Collin12
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:33 am

That Ruth looks really nice - at least an SGC 60 (unless I am missing something). I really like all four - congrats again!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:54 am

As most of you likely know, Star Players are TOUGH. To acquire a 43 card group of them at once is unheard of, especially in that condition and with all of those HOFers. Truly an astounding pickup, Chris, and a most certainly an enormous addition to the known population of Star Player Candy cards.

bow bow bow
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:42 am

Wow, congrats Chris...just amazing stuff. I can't remember another week like this when I've seen a couple huge pickups like Martin Neal's and yours together...just crazy. righton
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't know the set very well but I like the fact that there are poses I haven't seen before. How can you not like a set that uses Cuyler's real name, Hazen, instead of "Kiki".

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:48 pm

That is an amazing find Chris! What did you mean by a consignor in PA? How did you find him if don't mind sharing a great story, Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Amazing find, Chris! I'd, also, love to see more scans if possible.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Huge Star Player Candy lot acquired Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down