Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The everchanging bb collectibles Auction landscape

+10
seablaster
cccc
terjung
Bosox Blair
fisherboy7
sabrjay
jbonie
BigGuy219
pariah1107
ullmandds
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Empty The everchanging bb collectibles Auction landscape

Post by ullmandds Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13 pm

There have been a lot of changes lately in the bb collectibles auction biz...what with:

1. Bill Mastro and Doug Allen being indicted and Legendary's insider bidding questioned

2. the admittance of shill bidding at Huggins and Scott(a ways back)

3.The change of ownership of Sterling

4. new auction houses w/ Al Crisafulli...love of the game auctions and most recently Ken Goldins...kengoldinsauctions.com

All of this combined with Ebay being used less amongst "serious" collectors due to their ever-increasing fees and sea of "crap" mixed in with vintage.

In your opinions...what poses the biggest challenges for these new-comers...as well as the existing houses who seem to be doing well...ie. Goodwin, REA, etc, in order to succeed and thrive in this ultra competititive industry?!?!

I say quality consignments...if one can consistently bring these in...the rest should fall into place. This combined with excellent customer service...which includes quick pay/ship.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ullmandds on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Empty Re: The everchanging bb collectibles Auction landscape

Post by pariah1107 Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Do you mean Al Crisafulli's Loveofthegame auction? Perhaps this is a question that can be best answered by those in the industry themselves.

As in; How do you hope to improve upon the sports memorabilia atmosphere? What will you do to stop shilling? Will you operate a fair and open bidding platform?
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Empty Re: The everchanging bb collectibles Auction landscape

Post by ullmandds Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm

yep...that's what I meant...thanks for the correction!

It seems that most auction houses(I think)already run a no shill auction...this is obviously a negative thing from a buyer's standpoint. I will not bid anywhere where this is a known, admitted practice.

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Pete, I believe it's Heritage that sets a 'double secret' reserve by bidding what they deem a 'wholesale' price 7 days before the auction.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:31 pm

As a followup.

If I had a card below $1,000 I would consign to Bagger's Auctions, because the owner has always been very helpful when it comes to trades and liquidating my cards in a timely manner at a very fare rate.

For a $1,000-$10,000 card I would consign to Goodwin & Co. simply because I think they do the best presentation and marketing at this level. I have experience as a bidder, not a consignor, but I've heard very good things.

For a $10,000+ card (of which I freely admit I have none) I would of course consign to REA, provided time was not a pressing factor. The king is still the king.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 pm

I agree about ebay hosting a sea of crap... they have really ruined it for themselves, it all started ten years ago with the "Buy It Now". They should have realized that for niches like baseball cards where every card is worth something that it would lead to a flood of overpriced crap. I chalk it up to arrogance and a failure to listen by a company that's too big to accommodate the hobby.

I actually don't mind Heritage's reserve policy. Christie's and Sotheby's also have hidden reserves, so it's status quo for bigtime players like that. It's a healthy way of protecting an asset. For my Ewing and Mascot there was an autobid I had to take out early on, and I honestly didn't mind very much.

We'll continue to see Goodwin and REA as major players, but I think we could see Mile High start to move up in the food chain as a third option. It should open up territory to get more consignments. I wonder if we'll even see Memory Lane come on strong. Anything is possible.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 am

If someone can get the former eBay market, they are doing to do very well. That's is the market that the smaller houses should be trying to get so it's large and open.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 am

sabrjay wrote:If someone can get the former eBay market, they are doing to do very well. That's is the market that the smaller houses should be trying to get so it's large and open.

Not sure if I see that ever happening. The biggest thing that ebay had/has going for it is maximum exposure. That's the what the smaller auction houses have always struggled with the most.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:38 am

sabrjay wrote:If someone can get the former eBay market, they are doing to do very well. That's is the market that the smaller houses should be trying to get so it's large and open.

Closest to that, I thought, was Sterling. Frequent auctions. Smaller value lots. Collector grade cards available. Easy pay via Paypal, cheap shipping...I'll miss Sterling!

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:

Closest to that, I thought, was Sterling. Frequent auctions. Smaller value lots. Collector grade cards available. Easy pay via Paypal, cheap shipping...I'll miss Sterling!

Sterling isn't gone.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 pm

terjung wrote:
Bosox Blair wrote:

Sterling isn't gone.

Any word on who is taking over?
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Bosox Blair wrote:
terjung wrote:
Bosox Blair wrote:

Sterling isn't gone.

Any word on who is taking over?

is this one of those news where you need to be on facebook again?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Just to flesh out this thread (and in case this was not well-known), our friend Brian who founded and ran Sterling has recently taken a position with REA. I believe it was understood that he would no longer run Sterling, but that it was possible Sterling would continue...maybe new ownership? That's where my info ends. Have not heard any more info or word on how this might take shape or who else might be involved in running Sterling in the future.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 pm

No need to be on Facebook... just at the National.

I'll let him announce it to the forum though.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Since it was just broadcast emailed, I feel more comfortable posting it here now.

Congratulations Lee!

Sterling Sports Auctions is pleased to announce longtime hobbyist Lee Behrens as the new owner/operator of the auction platform, replacing Brian Dwyer who started the site and recently took a position as Consignment Director for Robert Edward Auctions. Lee brings with him over 20 years of collecting experience including past ownership of a card shop and partnership in an eBay consignment outlet. The first auction conducted by Lee will be held in September with specific dates to be announced shortly. Consignments for this sale are currently being accepted.

Contact information for Sterling Sports Auctions will remain the same except for a new physical mailing address which is noted below. Brian Dwyer can now be reached at bdwyer@robertedwardauctions.com.

If you're interested in consigning to the upcoming Sterling Sports Auction, please contact info@sterlingsportsauctions.com.

Thank you for your continued support!

Sterling Sports Auctions
PO Box 866
Alexandria, MN 56308
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Congratulations, Lee.

But now that the cards are going to Minnesota will they require little card-sized jackets to stay warm?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 pm

I'm looking forward to your first auction at the helm of Sterling Lee.

Very Happy
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:45 am

Thanks Guys,

It was tough to keep it under raps. I was able to get some leg work in at the nationals, but we finally got all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. I do not plan on changing Brian's original format since I belief that it is a niche that is not being filled in the hobby.

I am excited for my first auction I am tentatively looking at either Sept 13th or 20th.

I look forward to all of you bidding or consigning, as always I am open to feedback or questions.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 am

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Thanks Guys,

It was tough to keep it under raps. I was able to get some leg work in at the nationals, but we finally got all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. I do not plan on changing Brian's original format since I belief that it is a niche that is not being filled in the hobby.

I am excited for my first auction I am tentatively looking at either Sept 13th or 20th.

I look forward to all of you bidding or consigning, as always I am open to feedback or questions.

Lee

Congrats Lee!

Glad to hear you are keeping Sterling going as it was...I agree, a good niche being served. I'll continue to be a bidder.

Best of luck to you with this!
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:06 am

Congrats Lee! Nice meeting you in Baltimore and I wish you the best with the Sterling take over.

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:14 am

Congrats Lee!! Much success on the new venture.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm

an auction house owner right in our little backyard, congrats lee.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Best of luck Lee...I hear there's a o% consignment fee if you live in MN...SUH-WEET!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Congrats, Lee!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Glad to see Sterling will live on.They have had something for me in every auction thus far and I hope it continues.
Jason
Jason
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100The everchanging bb collectibles  Auction landscape Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next