Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I do with these cards?

+7
Jim Rivera cfc1909
LucasRiley
fisherboy7
ullmandds
bowlingshoeguy
jbonie
tdouglas
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What should I do with these cards? Empty What should I do with these cards?

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 6:45 am

I recently inherited some Topps baseball cards, ranging from 1959-1962, some in better condition than others. Unfortunately, the pricier cards aren't in good shape. My goal is to sell these cards. I know that I need to grade them to increase value, but I have a couple of cards that I'm not sure what to do with. Are these even worth getting graded? Here they are:

What should I do with these cards? Imag0126w
What should I do with these cards? Imag0127ze
What should I do with these cards? Imag0128p
What should I do with these cards? Imag0129ng

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What should I do with these cards? Empty Re: What should I do with these cards?

Post by jbonie Wed May 23, 2012 2:15 pm

The Mantle card is worth around a hundred bucks I think... the other two are not really worth much. You can sell them on ebay. You could get the Mantle graded, but it may not be worth the hassle, grading fees and shipping expenses. Good luck.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Agreed, no need to get the Mantle or any of the cards graded. If you are looking to sell them, sell the mantle individually and group the rest together and highlight the HOFers.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have a final, opposite question: I have some cards that are in mint condition, what I would grade as a PSA 9, at the minimum. No wear, no dirt, razor sharp corners. The centering is perfect. However, these are no-name players.

Are these worth getting graded, just because of the condition they are in?

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed May 23, 2012 8:01 pm

No because they are not actually PSA 9's. New collectors badly overestimate the grade they will get on a card. PSA is very strict with high grades. Most likely you will be disappointed.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I do understand where you're coming from, but I think these are worthy of at least a PSA 8. Maybe I'm wrong, though, so maybe you could help me out. If I'm wrong on this, it could possibly save me a ton of money on getting them graded, so I appreciate any help. I know that it's hard to grade cards based solely on pictures, but here they are:

What should I do with these cards? Imag0133nx
What should I do with these cards? Imag0132q

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 pm

They look pretty darn sharp...but im no grading maven.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed May 23, 2012 9:44 pm

I would see what the prices on the 62 commons in PSA 8 are going for on ebay. That is definately one of the years where you get a bit more of a premium for high grade cards and those look sharp. If you run them raw with good scans on ebay they will also command decent prices from the people out there hoping to find a diamond in the rough and for the people that collect only raw cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed May 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Those DO look very sharp, and 62 is a tough year. It's your call. If by chance one lands a 10, it will be worth thousands.

Edited to add:

They look like PSA 8's on close inspection. The Hunt has some flaws on the corners. If you get the Piersall graded let me know and I might make you an offer. I like that card.

Last edited by jbonie on Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : only saw scans on cell phone before)
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks for the help, guys. I figure I'll send them in under the bulk rates. I hate having to wait two months, but for $6, it's worth the gamble and wait times.

If anyone's interested, here are the 15 cards I plan to send using the free vouchers they give out. I'm hoping for some favorable grades!

What should I do with these cards? Imag0140pf
What should I do with these cards? Imag0148zr
What should I do with these cards? Imag0147fv
What should I do with these cards? Imag0146r
What should I do with these cards? Imag0145l
What should I do with these cards? Imag0144qe
What should I do with these cards? Imag0143i
What should I do with these cards? Imag0135i
What should I do with these cards? Imag0136np
What should I do with these cards? Imag0137v
What should I do with these cards? Imag0138hq
What should I do with these cards? Imag0139yp
What should I do with these cards? Imag0140i
What should I do with these cards? Imag0142rn
What should I do with these cards? Imag0134ndy

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed May 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Those are some very nice 62's, especially considering it's a condition sensitive set. good luck with the grades
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 pm

nice cards...I'd expect a handful of 6-8's...maybe a niner in there...good luck!

pete
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What should I do with these cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed May 23, 2012 11:22 pm

The only one of the bunch you have scans of that I would not spend the money on is the Brock with little to no top border. That is a nice bunch of cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Would the off-centering on the Brock lower the value that much? I was also thinking of replacing the Yastrzemski. Which of these four cards would you replace those two with?

What should I do with these cards? Imag0151x
What should I do with these cards? Imag0150a
What should I do with these cards? Imag0149p
What should I do with these cards? Imag0152hr

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm

banks and torre look best...to me!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed May 23, 2012 11:43 pm

I agree with Pete, I probably would replace the maris with the short top border with the Mathews (unless the above the "Braves" and below "Mathews" is paper loss).

You want to go with the cards that have the best centering and little to no chipping. I t is nice to see these cards in great shape.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Banks
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 pm

The Mathews doesn't have any paper loss; it just has a speck of dirt on the card holder. I replaced the Brock RC and Yastrzemski with Mathews and Banks. I'm torn on the Maris with a small top border; Maris seems to be a very pricey card. How much does being off-center drop a card in value? For example, if that Maris would be a PSA 7 normally, would it drop to a 4 or 5?

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 1:24 am

I used to have that torre...i love that card. Agreed...ive never owned a 62 topps that nice!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 am

ullmandds wrote:I used to have that torre...i love that card. Agreed...ive never owned a 62 topps that nice!

I used to own a 62 Topps PSA 10 common but fortunately sold it in early 2008. Those are actually quite nice cards, it is a decent find. However, all post-war series cards are basically in decline, except maybe 52 and 55 topps.

I believe you may be overestimating the demand for the Maris. I don't know if maybe his hitting 61 HR's the previous year helps the price of his 62 Topps, but generally Maris is not a huge name among collectors these days. People still like him, however.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 1:55 am

Jamie...what the hell do you know...you collect cards 80 yrs older than 62 topps!!!!Smile
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu May 24, 2012 1:59 am

As far as the centering down grade. Check PSAs website for grading criteria. It should give you a good idea on where and 80/20 , 90/10 would fall for grade.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu May 24, 2012 2:08 am

ullmandds wrote:Jamie...what the hell do you know...you collect cards 80 yrs older than 62 topps!!!!Smile

I don't know sh*t, Pete. I'm just guessin'!!! Very Happy
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 am

I'd be interested in the two '59's (Mantle and Gibson), unless you're intent to get them graded. If you're open to selling them raw, individually or as a pair, feel free to send me an e-mail separately and let me know you're asking price. If not, no worries. Good luck with the grading!
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Make sure you send all the cards in together at one time. That is your best cahnce at getting higher grades
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next