Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T205 Border Discoloration

4 posters

Go down

T205 Border Discoloration Empty T205 Border Discoloration

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:09 pm

sabrjay wrote:As far as I know, discoloration doesn't affect grade. Not sure it should.

Jay

I also do not think that border discoloration affects grade. But if this discoloration is attributable to a reaction of the metal with its environment, some will see this as an undesireable degredation, while others will view the color change as interesting toning.

Personally, I like the apparent fact that the borders change color. It provides more to collect. However, the change of color on the borders are apparently caused by environmental conditions, much like an outdoor copper statue is exposed to. If this is true, the color change can be produced artificially. Perhaps by exposing the borders to moisture, oxygen, acidic gases, and other reactants.

If the cards are downgraded because of this color change, (which is most likely a deterioration of the metal component of the border), the motivation to artificially produce this effect is removed; and collectors are free to enjoy pursuit of this option, as their interest may dictate.

But Hey Exclamation
What about Ramlys Question
Do those tarnish cyclops
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
T205 Border Discoloration Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100T205 Border Discoloration Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

T205 Border Discoloration Empty Re: T205 Border Discoloration

Post by onlychild Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Gil,

I am by no means a T205 expert but I have dissected quite a few. Taken of fronts, backs, front & backs together, a word or date here and there, removed the gold borders, skinned them, rebacked, refaced and so on blah, blah, blah.

I can tell you that T205's clean up better than any other card when bathed. Generally the discoloration and dirt collected in the raised metal flake crevasses throughout the last century comes right off. It will once again twinkle and shine.....like this little light of mine.

Kevin
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
T205 Border Discoloration Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100T205 Border Discoloration Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Kevin, I betcha many of us as kids took a penny which had browned up and cleaned it up real shiny with a pencil eraser.
Since then, some of us have had to remove the green verdigris from copper which has been exposed to the elements for too long.
Collectible coins from before the 1800s often exhibit an almost black coloration (termed by many "chocolate" but they are obviously thinking semi-sweet).

I like this natural patination. Cleaning it is something which I would resist doing. Particularly because Jay has pointed out that if no metal was applied, the borders are yellow (and I have since seen one or two scans of these untreated t205s). Additionally, somewhat infrequently, one encounters copper which shows a red colored corrosion residue.

I guess that these variously colored border cards are encountered so infrequently that there is no hope of assembling a set of one player with gold, black, green, yellow, brown, red or other colored borders. But it would be nice.

I have never followed t205s. Does anyone know what border color possibilities are encountered?
That is, what colors have you seen + how often do you see them?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
T205 Border Discoloration Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100T205 Border Discoloration Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Only colors I've seen ar gold, yellow and a greenish/yellow

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
T205 Border Discoloration Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100T205 Border Discoloration Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:03 pm

I've owned three Youngs - all three had those "green" borders (all three were definitely real however).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
T205 Border Discoloration Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100T205 Border Discoloration Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down