Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Quinn odd career

3 posters

Go down

Jack Quinn odd career Empty Jack Quinn odd career

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:39 pm

I was just looking at Jack Quinn's career. Very odd career to say the least. Didn't break into the majors until he was 25 but hung around until he was 49. He won 96 games after the age of 40 and still didn't win 300 career games. His best season was 1914 when he won 26 games. The following year he turned around and lost 22 games. He was 18-7 when he was 43 years old. Definitely an odd career path.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Jack Quinn odd career Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Jack Quinn odd career Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Jack Quinn odd career Empty Re: Jack Quinn odd career

Post by pariah1107 Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 pm

Did Jack Quinn go to college? If he did it's likely he played pro ball under an alias to maintain his amateur status. The best example of this I can find is Larry Kopf, played under the name "Fred Brady" 1910-1913. Then played under Larry, or Billy Kopf for the next nine years of his professional career (helped the Reds win the controversial 1919 series).
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Jack Quinn odd career Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jack Quinn odd career Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:23 pm

If that is the case, then no one at SABR has been able to find out what his alias was.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Jack Quinn odd career Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Jack Quinn odd career Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 pm

did he have a specialty pitch? unless you're nolan ryan i don't see guys in their 40's getting big league hitters out with just regular stuff. almost tempted to call HGH on this one Smile
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Jack Quinn odd career Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Jack Quinn odd career Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:47 pm

He was a spitballer, grandfathered in with the others in 1920. He went by the names Jack Quinn, John Picus, and Jan Pajkos. I don't see any mention of him before 1909.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Jack Quinn odd career Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jack Quinn odd career Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down