Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Davis and Baseball's New Math

5 posters

Go down

George Davis and Baseball's New Math Empty George Davis and Baseball's New Math

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 pm

There's been a lot of talk about the new math in baseball. First we had to deal with OPS (on base percentage + slugging percentage) and WHIP (some formula involve walks and hits per inning pitched), but now we're getting into things like WAR (wins above replacement) RAR (runs above replacement) and all sorts of other things that are making me regret having a Chinese exchange student do my Calculus homework in college.

There are a number of people who now rate a player by the WAR stat, and if that's to be taken seriously then the 37th best player (including pitchers) is ... you guessed it ... George Davis. Now as a NY Giants fan I know of George Davis only as the shortstop of our late nineteenth century team and an old White Sox player in the T206 set who got into the Hall of Fame 85 years after he retired.

Any of you have a George Davis card? My calculator says he's now an all time great. A true baseball legend. So I'm going to pick one up!

Complete career leaders here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100George Davis and Baseball's New Math Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

George Davis and Baseball's New Math Empty Re: George Davis and Baseball's New Math

Post by sabrjay Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:37 pm

your answer is in the disclaimer, the stat isn't reliable prior to 1950.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100George Davis and Baseball's New Math Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

George Davis and Baseball's New Math Empty Re: George Davis and Baseball's New Math

Post by TheBig6 Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:59 pm

In lieu of a Duke Cabinet which would be a dream card for me.
I present my only Davis Card
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Davis_1
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100George Davis and Baseball's New Math Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 am

BigGuy219 wrote:

Any of you have a George Davis card? My calculator says he's now an all time great. A true baseball legend. So I'm going to pick one up!

[/url]

George Davis was a great player and an interesting person (I recall reading a story of how he saved some people from a burning building).

I have the T206 as well. It is still pretty cheap. You can get a real nice 3 or 4 with Piedmont or SC back for $75-$120.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100George Davis and Baseball's New Math Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

George Davis and Baseball's New Math Empty Hull PC

Post by hrbaker Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 pm

George Davis and Baseball's New Math GeoDavisHullPC
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
George Davis and Baseball's New Math Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100George Davis and Baseball's New Math Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down