Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting quotes about vintage players

2 posters

Go down

Interesting quotes about vintage players Empty Interesting quotes about vintage players

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:26 am

Here are a few about Radbourn:

“I see,” writes a correspondent, “that some fan picks [Christy] Mathewson, [Ed] Walsh and [Rube] Waddell as the three greatest
[pitchers]. Matty was a marvel. But when you come to the greatest, it is a matter of choice between Radbourne and [Walter] Johnson. Radbourne, I think, was the greatest pitcher I ever saw.”
—Grantland Rice, syndicated columnist, 1924

“Rad” is a peculiar fellow personally. He is called a crank by many,but at the same time these very ones admit he is a thorough good fellow. This statement, though apparently paradoxical, is quite true. With managers and umpires he is seldom able to get along. Possibly this is due to the fact that his own estimation of his value and importance is not always shared by them, for it must be admitted that Charles Radbourn sometimes is afflicted with what is known in common language as a swelled head. However, all this does not detract from his ability as a pitcher, for when he does ‘let himself out’ there is some excuse for his vanity.
—Quincy Daily Herald, May 11, 1890

source
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Interesting quotes about vintage players Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Interesting quotes about vintage players Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Interesting quotes about vintage players Empty Re: Interesting quotes about vintage players

Post by BINatVCP Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:08 pm

For those, like me, who cannot exactly call themselves familiar with this era of the game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/radboch01.shtml

The sheer amount that he pitched is absolutely incredible. Just a much different game.

BINatVCP
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Interesting quotes about vintage players Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Interesting quotes about vintage players Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down