Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baseball card HOF

+6
crazylocomerk
fisherboy7
Square_Frame_Ramly
canjond
terjung
sabrjay
10 posters

Go down

Baseball card HOF Empty Baseball card HOF

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:28 pm

My old website used to host a baseball card HOF. It featured various cards voted on my collectors as being historically significant or just outstanding looking cards. I've been thinking about reviving this endeavor if there is enough interest.

There were 4 categories; 19th century, tobacco, e-cards and other sets.

Cards that were already voted in:

19c - n172 Anson in uniform, Four Base Hits Kelley, Peck & Snyder Red Stockings
Tobacco - t206 Wagner, t205 Joss, t210 Jackson
e-cards - e90-1 Mitchell, e92 Mathewson, e92 Nadja Rebel Oakes
misc - Baltimore News Ruth, Zeenut Fatty Arbuckle, 1934 Goudey Gehrig

If there is enough interest, I will revive this open up the forum to suggestions and voting

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Baseball card HOF Empty Re: Baseball card HOF

Post by terjung Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm game.

The interesting thing to me is the card that first came to my mind while reading your post (and before I read the list of those already in).

I thought of the '34 Goudey Gehrig portrait. I don't have the card or have any '34 Goudeys, but that card transcends in my mind. The T206 Wagner is obviously would be on everyone's list as well. I suspect that there is a first class of cards similar to the first class that entered Cooperstown. In other words, unanimous consent as to which cards are deserving to be in the first class.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by canjond Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:16 pm

sabrjay wrote:My old website used to host a baseball card HOF. It featured various cards voted on my collectors as being historically significant or just outstanding looking cards. I've been thinking about reviving this endeavor if there is enough interest.

There were 4 categories; 19th century, tobacco, e-cards and other sets.

Cards that were already voted in:

19c - n172 Anson in uniform, Four Base Hits Kelley, Peck & Snyder Red Stockings
Tobacco - t206 Wagner, t205 Joss, t210 Jackson
e-cards - e90-1 Mitchell, e92 Mathewson, e92 Nadja Rebel Oakes
misc - Baltimore News Ruth, Zeenut Fatty Arbuckle, 1934 Goudey Gehrig

If there is enough interest, I will revive this open up the forum to suggestions and voting

Jay

Other that come to mind are:

19c - Ewing w/ Mascot, Just So Young
Tobacco - Cobb T206 (green or bat off), T3 Cobb, Matty T206 (white cap), T206 Plank
e-cards - '14 E145 Matty, E90-1 Jackson (overrated/ ugly shouldn't matter)
misc - 33 Goudey Ruth, 33 Goudey Lajoie

Last edited by canjond on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
canjond
canjond
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Back to top Go down

Baseball card HOF Empty sure...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Sounds good....

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I like the idea of reviving the BBC HOF, and inducting a new class by vote here on Full Count. I really like Jon's suggestions.

I also vote to impeach the e90-1 Mitchell Baseball card HOF Icon_twisted
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:I like the idea of reviving the BBC HOF, and inducting a new class by vote here on Full Count. I really like Jon's suggestions.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to be part of the introduction of a new class!

fisherboy7 wrote:I also vote to impeach the e90-1 Mitchell Baseball card HOF Icon_twisted

I second that impeachment!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:44 pm

what are some criterias? do we go for excellence over a period of time (a classic pose across various sets, like e92e10125t216 matty), or overwhelming greatness in a short period (low pop like 4BH kelly, cy young just so...). do we go big names or a unique common pose will do? can we throw in some of our fav poses...like the e97 keeler for me.

i'd also like to kick out the mitchell and oakes (sorry jay)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggum Fan Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 am

I say make it like the real HOF voting....something like.....

No categories. Just list 20 - 30 "top" cards and have them voted upon. From there, top 5 make it into the Hall (just like the first Hall class. Every month, have another vote, listing a few more cards to the "top" card list. The second Hall class had 8 players so 8 cards would go in, third HOF class had 3 members, etc. etc.

The eligible cards could also be based upon time periods.... say 1887 to 1908, 1909 - 1932, 1933 - 1951, 1952 - 1969. This is 4 periods, each voting for each period lasting a quarter. About mid-year, establish a Veterans Committee-like vote to get some of the "missed" (cough cough sarcasm) into the Hall. This will make it a year round thing, have people come back often to vote (especially when the Veterans Committee voting starts & make it that the card has to have 75% of the vote to get into the Hall). Heck ----make it even more user fun & friendly ----each user submits their top 3 or 5 and they get voted on --- talk about pressure identifying what cards.

Or...have a "first class" that is the best of the best. The cards everyone knows would be voted in. T206 Wagner, 1952 Topps Mantle, etc. I know the 1952 - 1969 period isn't vintage it just worked and could be changed. As anything.

Oh, in case you couldn't guess....I am for this.... haha

Michael

Wiggum Fan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Like the real HOF, no one is getting kicked out. Besides, how can anyone think that e92 Nadja Oakes isn't a great looking card? If the name on the bottom was Cobb, there would be a serious drool fest going on Baseball card HOF 601991

I'll get the site up and running again and then we can start nominations. I do like the idea of just lumping everything together as the e-card category would get think very quickly since there are so few cards/poses to choose from. I do like the split by era idea too.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Criteria for the cards has always been significance of the card to the hobby, pose/eye appeal or any other reason you think the card worthy of being considered among the greatest cards ever made. Mitchell was the first e-card voted in because I think most of the voters at the time were long time collectors who still thought of the e90-1 Mitchell as the king of the e-cards. That was around 8 or 9 years ago and things have changed a lot since then.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:22 am

another idea would be to limit it to one card per player. could be fun determining each player's "best" card and also would avoiding having just a ton of Cobbs, Wagners, Matty, etc.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:33 pm

I too, like the ideas here. Particularly catagories including:
Most Significant,
Most attractive,
maybe most costly, rare, ..

A top ten list for each catagory, and horizontals and big cards: PC size and bigger?
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Baseball card HOF Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Baseball card HOF Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down