Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets?

+3
CobbSpikedMe
ItsOnlyGil
scott elkins
7 posters

Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets?

Post by scott elkins Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:58 pm

For instance, certain teams from a set, portraits from a set, etc.

Myself - I am currently working on a few subsets of the Monster - Hindu SL'ers, Cubs with rare backs and a 350/460 Series with only Cycles and American Beauties. For me, this is much easier than collecting entire sets, as I lose patience rather quickly. In fact, I have never completed a set. I have bought a few complete sets, but could not even complete a Dockman set - I quit when I had 32 of the 40 cards (and had the expensive ones and tough ones out of the way). Rolling Eyes drool

I have always thought the Brown's Champs subset of the Old Judge set as a nice subset to complete as well. Too bad I didn't start that one a few years back when they were reasonably priced.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty Re: Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 pm

My most common subsets are all of the (typically color, but sometimes pose - such as OJs) variations of a single player in a card set. Sort of a miniature master set. These usually are quite striking, imo, and are a good type representation. Sometimes there are more than a dozen variations of a single card.
I have a half dozen or more of these underway right now.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty Re: Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets?

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Out of the Monster I've collected the four Jersey City players (real tough I know) and I have finally acquired the last of the six horizontal cards in the set. Actually, I'm working on trying to get all of the cards ever issued for Jersey City players, so I guess you could say I'm working a lot of different subsets: C46, N172, N173, T205, T201....

AndyH

Last edited by on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 pm

just subsets of my player set. I'll put together the Delong set and a basic set of t205s with no variations. I've got a ton of 40 Play Ball and may pursue that set minus that the "retro" cards of Jackson, Wagner, Johnson, etc. I'd love to chase the m101-4/5 set, but I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a Ruth.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty I started collecting T204 cards...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 pm

Then i came across my Square frame and decided to try for the only known 6 Square Frame cards. I will be at it for a while Very Happy

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 pm

That is a tuff one to beat Mark.
Actually, it may not be beatable.
Six very high priced and uniquely attractive cards = just right.

Do you know where each is now?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty Oh Yes Gil....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:23 pm

I know 2 collectors that have completed the 6 Square Frame set and there may be a private collector with unlimited funds that has a set. I was told there were approx. 50-60 Square Frames out there but who knows. Of course i have the funds now to buy 1 or maybe 2 and there are none for sale Crying or Very sad

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Oh, 50 - 60 and six different cards, then condition counts.
Which one is rarest?
How many of these have changed hands over the past ten years?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty subset

Post by rman444 Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:48 pm

I have never really been a set collector. This is the best subset that I have ever been lucky enough to put together:

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? E94collagemedium-1
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Empty yes...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 pm

in total counting all different players i was told that #. I would believe that John Anderson is the rarest since it was found in the 1990's and was not known to exist.

I would think a small % has changed hands since it is so tough to locate in any condition. Scott B. had all 6 for sale a few years back for around $15,000, he told me himself that it was one of the dumbest things he has ever done. They are worth 5X that now.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Rman -

Stunning.

Andy
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:21 am

impressive is an understatement.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 pm

Rman - I had forgotten how nice all those different colored Cobbs look together! I was missing the purple however when I had my "hoard" back in the day. The purple one really sets the others off - that is an amazing Cobb collection to say the least - also, one of my favorite poses of Cobb! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I collect a few subsets in the Monster also-the Giants with the cap and sweater and the Baltimore team.

WOW those 6 Cobbs together are amazing!
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Do you collect any subsets or team sets of larger sets? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down