Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How come you do not collect t-206 ?

+8
r337man
fisherboy7
lamontcarter
bowlingshoeguy
scott elkins
Square_Frame_Ramly
sabrjay
ItsOnlyGil
12 posters

Go down

How come you do not collect t-206 ? Empty How come you do not collect t-206 ?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 am

For me, the following is true:

- this set is so common that I've had my fill of seeing examples, hearing of set trivia, and tripping over persons scrambling to gather up armfulls of this minutiae.
- this set contains elements which are so expensive that obtaining one of them (and there are several) more than doubles the value of your set. This is so pronounced that if you obtain the premier card, there is no motivation to obtain the rest of the set.
- because of the above, most collectors set a goal to collect the "almost" set. This less than a set does not include a selected quantity of the more expensive cards. Its like collecting Goudey, but no Ruths nor Gehrig.
- this set contains many players whose main claim to fame is that they appear in this set.
- otherwise normal people become obcessed with the differences in the tobbacco manufacturers advertising on the card backs. This is not something interesting nor informative, like player statistics or descriptions. No, this is simply tobbacco company advertising. But you wouldn't think that from the obscession!
- Oh, there is more, way more.

How about you?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How come you do not collect t-206 ? Empty Re: How come you do not collect t-206 ?

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 pm

I don't collect the set becuase I am no longer a set collector, with the exception of the Delong set that I am working on within the player set I am working on. The Delong set meets all the criteria I have the card I perfer to have in my collection, a good likeness with a bio on the back. Plus, the Delong set has always been one of my all-time favorites.

Given that criteria, there won't be too many t206s in my set, but there will be a lot of t205s and t207s.

I do agree with to a certain extent that all the talk about t206s and how common it is can get annoying at times, but it is THE vintage set. Lots of people collect 1933 Goudeys, but you don't hear anywhere near the chatter about that set that you do about t206s. I am sure that is mostly due to the fact that there isn't a whole of mystery around production, distribution, etc regarding the Goudey set. Even the key card to the set, Lajoie, doesn't have much mythology behind it because it's known why it is a rarity and how it was distrubuted.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

How come you do not collect t-206 ? Empty for me....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:52 pm

they are just too common and to tell you the truth i don't like the way they look. snooze
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How come you do not collect t-206 ? Empty Re: How come you do not collect t-206 ?

Post by scott elkins Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Gil, until recently I was NOT collecting T206's either. For some reason, I recently began collecting the different backs again however. I believe the set is really common. One can find most all of the cards in the set on eBay almost any day of the week. This is one reason why I really like collecting the tougher backs, as there may be over a couple thousand Cobb Bat Off Shoulders out there, but only around 4 with a Uzit back.

When you get into the distribution of the T206 cards, you cannot help but refer to the back brands. For instance, Uzit ONLY issued cards with their cigarettes late in the distribution of T206's in 1911. This meant there were only a short few weeks one could find T206's in packs of Uzits (thus, accounting for their rarity).

Also, there are simply so many cards and different ways to collect T206's. This, along with their relative abundance, will always make the T206 a popular set to collect - even for advanced collectors.

While there are several issues much rarer than T206 in general, T206 does have some real rarities. Also, the real rarities in the T206 set have a LOT to do with the brand on the back. When you take brands like Uzit, Drum and Broadleaf 460's you are almost guaranteed no one player exists on double digit numbers with any of these brands. So, when you are talking 4-6 Uzit or Drum Cobbs in existence, that is really rare!

Personally, I have collected Vintage Cards since 1978 and I have collected T206's off and on several times while collecting Vintage Cards. I have sold all my T206's on at least three different occasions - never to collect the issue again. Well, I am currently collecting T206's (working on several different subsets within the set). Again, the allure of the set simply keeps calling me back for some odd reason. question It might be b/c it is the set most of us begin with, it might be the several ways to collect the set, it might even be the ease in which cards can be obtained - I don't really know scratch , but do know it is the most widely collected Vintage Card Set!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 am

Precisely Scott ! bananarama

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
You do it your way.

CWYWC
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 am

I am guilty of collecting T206s and can't seem to find a way out, too many ways to collect the damn set.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:49 am

I only collect T206's. It's for a couple reasons:

1) Affordability - although it's large, the set can be done pretty economically minus the big 4. I too have a bit of disappointment that I'll never truly complete it but I'll still be proud if someday I get the other 532 cards or whatever it is. Operating on a limited budget I just feel that expanding my collecting focus would lead me to spending more $ thann I should be on cards (it can be addicting as we all know).

2) The challenge - I know most who post on here and other boards aren't set collectors (at least that's my perception) but part of the fun for me is the quest in trying to complete it. While I'm not focused on backs as some are I'd still like to complete the set having at least one example of each. I think that's also a pretty realistic goal other than the Cobb.

3) Availability - while some might see them as too common I like the fact that they are readily available. it keeps me interested and it allows me the opportunity to consistently add to my collection.

Another reason which probably has always been in the back of my mind but seeing Jay post it kind of turned on the light bulb - it is THE vintage set. A lot of folks who aren't collectors would probably know the set because of all the press around the Wagner.

Just my two cents......

Best regards,

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:18 pm

While I usually chase more uncommon stuff, I can't deny the greatness of the t206 set. Like others have said, with it being so vast, there are so many ways to collect it, and it's jam packed with stars, HOFers and great poses. Combine that with the great variety of backs and their scarcity levels, and the appeal of the set widens even further. The design is simple, yes, but beautiful. And the lithography is among the most detailed of any T or E se (the '10 and '11 Obaks are up there too). Sometimes I'll see a "common" T206 and think "wow, I never realized how great that card looks until now". Like the other day with a T206 Deacon Phillippe pitching pose.

I first started collecting the set by trying to get HOFers with rare backs. One of my first "good" prewar cards was a T206 Cy Young glove shows w/Cycle 460 back in vg. I sold it off in 2001 for around $250 frustrated I've sorta wanted another Young glove shows in nice shape ever since. I also had a Johnson portrait with a Sovereign 460 back, which I parted with long ago. Never managed to get a HOFer with a back tougher than Cycle 460. The only t206 I currently own is a proof card of Al Mattern, Boston Nat'l, which I hope I'll never have to part with.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Don't mean to be picky Ben (as I agree 100% with your statement - and the Phillipe is a cool card!), but if you had a Walter Johnson with a Sov. 460 back, it had to be the hands @ chest variety, as the Portrait was a 150/350 Series card and cannot be found with a Sov. 460 back. If I remember correctly, you also had a nice American Beauty Cobb Bat Off at one time as well.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Point well taken, Scott. Don't know why I thought the Johnson was 460. I guess I don't remember what the # was after all! It was a while ago so it's a bit foggy.

Good memory on the AB Cobb. Man do I wish I still had that one in my collection Sad
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:18 pm

I can top you all in cards I wish I had back from the 80s Sad

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Ben - I always loved the Cy Young (Glove Shows) T206 with tough backs. That is one card that is rather hard to find with tougher backs for some reason. I wish I had held onto my Red Hindu example of Young that I sold when I quit collecting in 2001. No I think my biggest regrets were two T206 commons I sold, that I would LOVE to have back - PSA 7 Mullin (W/Bat) Uzit and PSA 7 Konetchy (Glove Low) Red Hindu. Plus, I had three Red Hindu Gandils as well (ungraded - EX, VG/EX and VG). frustrated frustrated frustrated mallet

It is always sad to look back at cards you had to sell - I know Jay feels badly, after letting go of all of those Cullivans cards!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I actually love this set! Even though I am about as complete as i can be - NO Wagner, Doyle NY Nat'l, Old Mill back with black bar, I still manage to find oddball printing freaks and color variations. Also, many of these variations are on commons and not known so thy are still affordable. That is huge now-a-days. <p>

I must agree that most of the cards are very common, remember, everybody smoked in 1910. Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Good morning, ladies and germs. I think this is my first post here.

I have nothing against the T206s; in fact, I like them alot and find other folk's devotion to them fascinating. I started to collect them but before getting to 100 I opted out. Sadly, I just don't have the $$$ to collect everything I like. So, I dumped almost all of them, keeping a couple of HOFers I like and a few commons I forgot to include when the rest of the batch went on ebay.

I'll go back some day, but I figure the prices are very stable and the availability high, so I'm focusing on the more volatile or undervalued sets I like right now. I doubt t206 prices will ever spike upward dramatically, so I'll bide my time. Good topic, Gil.

Todd
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:28 pm

WELCOME Todd!! You are more than welcome on any board I am on! Dan Mckee
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcard Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:49 pm

I actually need one more stinkin T206 so I can't give up now.
I've enjoyed the set and I acknowledge the fact that not all the cards are tough, but the point for me is that you can spend a lifetime accumulating different front/back combos which I find fun. I've always thought the fact that I was able to have a large amount of these cards taught me more about the hobby in certain ways.

Used to have all the backs (except the old mill freaks and the brown variations) but recently made a trade. Now I need the red hindu, uzit, and broadleaf 460 again! Sad

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by macbruce11 Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:29 pm

I do really like the t206 set, I just like the caramels better. I got up to 300 on the set before I lost steam and sold. I keep getting the urge to start again and likely will at some point in the near future.

macbruce11
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:17 am

the more collectors that don't collect 206s is better for me. I think I will always collect them. I still need about 40 or 50 cards to have a near complete set minus Wagner, Plank, Doyle and Magie. I will always collect front/back combos. The rare backs are great! I collected the set hard for about 5 years but have strayed over the past 2 or 3 years into e95 and vintage Baltimore issues.
No matter how many other issues I get interested in I still find myself picking up a T206s. It seems you never get a double -if you buy the same player 5 times it seams to have 5 different backs.Anyway thats why I don't collect T206.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
How come you do not collect t-206 ? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100How come you do not collect t-206 ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down