Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is it OK to call a card RARE?

+7
TheRiddler
bowlingshoeguy
Bicem
sabrjay
Z-NUT
TheBig6
fisherboy7
11 posters

Go down

When is it OK to call a card RARE

When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap12%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap15%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap32%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 11 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap26%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 9 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap3%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap0%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap6%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_lcap6%When is it OK to call a card RARE? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 34

When is it OK to call a card RARE? Empty When is it OK to call a card RARE?

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:44 pm

There's probably no word that's overused in the card world as much as the word "RARE". You really see it being used everywhere, and for the most part it's purely for hype. After seeing someone call their low grade N28 Mulvey on ebay "rare", it got me thinking - when can someone justifiably call their card "rare"? Does the use of the term "condition rarity" make sense?

What do you think? Vote and discuss.

BTW, this particular poll accepts multiple votes, so vote for as many options you think qualify.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

When is it OK to call a card RARE? Empty Re: When is it OK to call a card RARE?

Post by TheBig6 Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm

I think if there is only 20 of something in the Universe it qualifies on being rare.
I also voted that if it's the only one graded by Psa/sgc. I just figured that they have been around long enough now if it was a common card they would have graded more than one.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

When is it OK to call a card RARE? Empty Reason # 7 (Other)

Post by Z-NUT Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Reason # 7 (Other): When respected advanced collectors tell you it is.

Case in point, I recently picked up a 1932-38 Vancouver Peanuts Senior Amateur League type card off of Ebay. After searching on the Net54 forum for some tidbits, I came across two interesting comments on the sets rarity. Mark MaCrae says that the issue is "extremely rare" and Frank Ward stated that he had seen "maybe 6 or 7 in the last 27 years". Opinions from either of these guys is good enough for me! Very Happy

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:00 pm

I'd agree with that about trusted hobby veterans. I've known Mark for over 25 years and it's a term that I know he doesn't just toss around for hype.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:56 pm

it's all relative, but I personally considered something with 10 or less known examples to be considered rare.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:27 pm

I voted for 20 or less, but is this relative to the number of people collecting the card/issue?

IF there are only 20 of a T206 card is it rarer than 20 say T202s that are less collected?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:44 am

IF there are only 20 of a eggplant pizza are they rarer than 20 say artichoke pizzas that are in less demand?

IF there are only 20 strawberry blondes, are they rarer than 20 brunettes who are in less demand (this week)?

What is rarity, beauty, wealth, wit, and most other characteristics, but arbitrary measurements which change with time and circumstance.

But right now, I'd call 20 of something, quite rare - but if they were pokes in the eye, Id say that 20 was far too many, and so is one.
Smile
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

TheRiddler wrote:

But right now, I'd call 20 of something, quite rare - but if they were pokes in the eye, Id say that 20 was far too many, and so is one.
Smile

Thanks for the laugh!!!

Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:36 pm

I don't think "rare" is the word to describe 1/1...that word is unique. I'm a bit surprised that quite a few people think it takes 1/1 to use the word rare.

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm

While 1/1 is literally unique, calling it rare be a proper description of the card too.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 pm

I would say if there are 20 known or less examples of a card it is rare
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:33 am

To me, rarity is more about how often an item is seen. Something that only hits eBay every couple of years or less is rare.

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
When is it OK to call a card RARE? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100When is it OK to call a card RARE? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 pm

My 1982 Fleer Jeff Zahn card must be pretty rare then Rolling Eyes

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Betcha none of us have one.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm

I'm pretty sure Lee has one tucked away in the freezer in his basement.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down