Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Davis

2 posters

Go down

George Davis Empty George Davis

Post by terjung Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:25 am

In the 1933 Goudey set, card #236 is that of George Davis. It is a portrait of someone who appears to be relatively young. In doing some research, I am having trouble determining who this is. Namely, delineating him from other George Davises that played. Most notably, HOFer George Davis played from 1890-1909. On VCP, the HOFer George Davis's cards are comingled with that of a George Davis who appeared in the the 1933 Goudey set (as well as that of the 1933 Worch Cigar and 1936 Goudey). The HOFer was still alive, but I don't see any record of him managing after he completed playing. He was a player/manager during a few of his years, though. So my question is this....

Is the George Davis in the 1933 Goudey set a different person than HOFer George Stacey Davis?

Side note - a different George Davis played in 1912-1915, but those years don't match up either.

100th post bananarama
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
George Davis Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100George Davis Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

George Davis Empty Re: George Davis

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:32 am

The '33 Goudey George Davis was a outfielder with the New York Giants. I have a bitmap image of the reverse of the card, but I can't seem to post it.

Says he played 137 games with the Phillies in 1932. Also says he was a factor in Giants beating Washington in the World Series in 1933.

Clearly not the HOF Davis, but not much info out there on this guy...

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
George Davis Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100George Davis Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 am

Aha - found him in Thorn & Palmer's "Total Baseball" listed as Kiddo Davis (real name George Willis Davis).

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
George Davis Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100George Davis Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content