Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trophy Cards

+2
sabrjay
ItsOnlyGil
6 posters

Go down

Trophy Cards Empty Trophy Cards

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Many collectors seek and acquire cards which are costly, as the main thrust of their collection.

If you are one of those collectors (or include this theme for a part of your collection), do you specialize in a specefic price driven collection segment?

- rarity
- popularity
- grade
- other

% of each, please.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trophy Cards Empty Re: Trophy Cards

Post by sabrjay Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:43 pm

My only trophy card, per se, is my Thorpe. It's a card that eluded me at a reasonable price all through the 80s. I was finally able to acquire on in 2002. It's the one card in my collection that will not be sold unless I get that proverbial stupid offer, like $100k. Then I'd sell it. Mt e92 Nadja would be tough to part with too. Card pose and mine has stunning color and register which is uncommon for that card

Trophy Cards E92oakesTrophy Cards Thorpe

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:56 pm

I enjoy collecting scarce cards of players I like, that are also neat looking. I'd break it down this way:

Scarcity - 45%
Aesthetics - 25%
Player - 20%
Condition - 10%

Here are my "trophies" from the fisherboy collection Smile

Trophy Cards E107%20Joss_1Trophy Cards D359PlankTrophy Cards NewplankTrophy Cards E95plankTrophy Cards E104BendersmTrophy Cards D304collinsTrophy Cards T212weaverTrophy Cards T206PROOF

E107 Joss - D359 Plank - T204 Plank - E95 Plank - E104-1 Bender - D304 Collins - T212 Weaver - T206 Mattern Proof
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Great Cards posted so far
Here's my so called Trophy Cards, I might add these with the exception of Commy were acquired in the early 90's when prices were reasonable.
Rarity 25%
Player 25%
Condition 25%
Size 25%

Trophy Cards Wright_1Trophy Cards Keefe2Trophy Cards Kelly3Trophy Cards Ward2Trophy Cards Commy_1Trophy Cards Mattysilk
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:11 pm

yes i would say player selection is the biggest factor when it comes to trophy card(s) for me also.

i would have no interest in a t208 ira thomas, but if it's a t208 plank i would probably give multiple parts of my body that i don't need for it.

1. player
2. scarcity/popularity

condition is an afterthought unless it's elephant-man hideous.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:02 am

Yeah, scarcity is important, but no matter how rare a card might be, I have little interest if just a regular common player. I prefer Hall of Fame players or notable players (ie Black Sox, etc).

(1) Player
(2) Scarcity

While scarcity is important, I have been trying to steer away from scarcity for the sake of scarcity. If an E98 Cobb has an Old Put stamp on it making it one of a kind, that is not that much more desireable to me than a nice looking E98 Cobb w/o the stamping.

On the other hand, if the card is significant for resons aside from scarcity, then I woudl value it much more. For example, I appreciate the E95 or E102 Cobbs since these are potentially RCs if postcards and oversized cards are taken out of the equation.

(3) Importance
(4) Condition
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 am

nicely stated wes....you conveyed exactly what i wanted to say but couldn't, that's why ur the big lawyer!

i was brought up in the rookie era so yea i would take e.g. a t204 johnson over a more scarce t222 version. the t204 have more meaning to me...unless a boston garter shows up!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trophy Cards Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trophy Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down