Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this card unaltered?

4 posters

Go down

Is this card unaltered? Empty Is this card unaltered?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:57 pm

Is this card unaltered? 10022_10

I view it as a card which has had its corners deliberately ripped off.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Is this card unaltered? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Is this card unaltered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Is this card unaltered? Empty Re: Is this card unaltered?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:47 pm

As a comparison, below is a portion of a card which has experienced (what is believed to be) genuine wear attributable to pinholing. I offer no conclusions at this time. Solely an inquiry.

Is this card unaltered? Phole10
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Is this card unaltered? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Is this card unaltered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:54 pm

My vote is for "unaltered". The Mayo Anson card wasn't doctored with the intent to deceive anyone. My guess is that it was tacked up to a wall many years ago, and later removed rather carelessly. What you're left with is a "beater" card, not an altered one (imo). To me, there's a huge difference between this kind of damage, and a card that has been trimmed, rebuilt, pressed, recolored, etc.

With that said, I do think the Anson deserves an "AUT" grade, because too much of the card is missing for it to meet the requirements of a SGC 10/PSA 1.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Is this card unaltered? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Is this card unaltered? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:06 am

Ben,
I believe what remains of the Anson card is that which results when an inadequate "doctor" attempts to defraud, and gets caught at it by the grading company. That is: I believe that the corners were deliberately ripped out when rebuilding attempts failed. It does not look like wear to me.
Gil

Is this card unaltered? Blow-u10
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 am

Gil, Which would be worth more, a card with touched up corners or a card with No Corners. I'd rather have a card with touched up corners. But thats just me.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Is this card unaltered? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Is this card unaltered? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm with Ben. At least in the hobby, altered carries a very negative connotation - as in someone doing something to a card with an intent to deceive. Both cards just look like they have very heavy corner wear, to put it mildly, and both look like they would only receive an Auth designation because of the amount of surface area missing from the original card.

I suppose the Anson's wear might not be original, turn-of-the-last-century wear and that a very poor card doctor might have ripped the corners from the Anson after half-assing the attempt to color or to rebuild them, but I'm not sure it really matters at this point in the card's existence.

Edited to add: Giraffes sure are cool animals.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Is this card unaltered? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Is this card unaltered? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down