Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin'

+5
t206head
cmoking
sabrjay
TheBig6
cccc
9 posters

Go down

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Empty sgc tough grading...they are a-changin'

Post by cccc Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:07 pm

i'm glad sgc has loosen up a bit, cards with a heavy crease and a chunk of the corner missing is not even a 20 these days, but a 30! i'm sending all my future raw cards to SGC as everyone know they're the standard for prewar. honestly i don't know if the sarcasm is real or not mallet

oh yea still looking for an e96 lajoie.

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' 82dc_310

ok to be fair it's not THAT grossly overgraded. but you see some other crisp card with a little paper loss and it's automatically knocked to a 20. their scale/standard is kinda wacked!

Last edited by cccc on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : continuing my propaganda that sgc is not that consistent like everyone thinks)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Empty Re: sgc tough grading...they are a-changin'

Post by TheBig6 Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Quan, I disagree
I think that card is substantually (SP.) over Graded. yuck
I don't see how a card with a chunk missing gets a GOOD GRADE.
JMHO
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Empty Re: sgc tough grading...they are a-changin'

Post by sabrjay Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 pm

The only other pre-war card I've seen that was more grossly overgraded was an n43 that was badly miscut and missing a border. It still ended up grading 60. Wish had copied the pic so I could show it.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:06 pm

While I agree that doesn't look like a 30, come on! If it is overgraded, how much is it overgraded by? 1 grade at most? That's not much to complain about when you see some cards graded NM with paper loss or wrinkles.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 pm

I got this one that looks like it was in a fire!! and its missing a hunk in the middle

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Sc004811
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:28 am

my beef with sgc has always been they'd hammer a card for the smallest defect without looking at the whole card, and then randomly cards like the lajoie would pass by. their grading is very subjective and imo there's no clear scale you can follow along with.

but if the lajoie is where the trend is heading, then i'm all for it. sgc has always been a little too tight and err on the conservative. i want accurately graded cards, not the toughest graded.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:40 am

I've taken a pile of cards and given them my best honest grade; then came back to that pile three weeks later and tried it again. Quite an eye opener!

I do not understand the preoccupation with the number assigned on a holder - everyone can see the features and problems of each card - why put so much emphasis on a grade at one point in time?

How consistent is possible?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by zouraspm Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:38 pm

sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' HossI like the argument that the grader must've gotten laid the night before to explain this extreme overgrading. I will say that I had it graded on-site at a show and maybe they're a little more lenient with those submissions (maybe they don't go through as rigorous review).
zouraspm
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:12 pm

I'd give it a 20, but in the Grand Scheme of Things, the 10-point difference on SGC's convoluted scale isn't a huge deal. Unless one is a visually impaired collector - and that'd be kind of weird, no? - most of us can see that the Lajoie isn't like the prototypical 30, whatever that happens to look like. For what it's worth, there was a similar Mayo Latham on the N54 B/S/T recently. I could've lived with its condition in absolute terms, but it just seemed so out of place in a 30, that I passed. The weird psychology of collectors, eh.

I totally agree with your other point Quan that sometimes the graders focus on a tree or two instead of seeing the forest - or whatever Big Picture metaphor you wanna use. I guess I tend to see the card as a whole rather than a sum of its corners, surface, etc., which actually presents some nice buying opportunities on cards with low numeric grades.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:40 pm

I agree they have been very easy recently -I had a few gifts on my last submission.

have a bunch of SGCs from the tough days and will probably leave them unless I sell and thats not going to happen.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100sgc tough grading...they are a-changin' Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down