Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd?

+5
ItsOnlyGil
asoriano
TheBig6
pro9
fisherboy7
9 posters

Go down

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Empty 1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd?

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Does this cabinet look strange to anyone else? Personally I've never seen a 19th century cabinet resembling this one. Could it be just a woodcut pasted onto a cabinet card backing. Any input is appreciated.

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Poughk10
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Empty Re: 1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd?

Post by pro9 Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Ben, I agree that is a strange looking cabinet. It does look original, though I am troubled by the weird cut on the top left.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Empty Re: 1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd?

Post by TheBig6 Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:17 pm

I've never seen a cabinet like that, why would a studio put out a cabinet thats not a photo.
The right edge looks a little ragged also.
Just seems kinda strange to me but for wiser minds than mine to determine.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by asoriano Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:18 pm

Ben:

Oddly enough, I have the same image in color on what appears to be a larger print (?).

The top reads "Safe at Home - 1878".

An advertisement is also found on it which says "Kessler's Private Blend Whiskey - Smooth as Silk".

There is a stamp in the lower right hand corner saying: "From the Private Collection of Mr. Julius Kessler."

I really don't know if this helps, I just have never seen the image before until you posted your cabinet.

Will post a picture later on tonight if that works.

My best,

Turner Engle

Edited to say after a quick search, this is what I have:

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=23&lot_num=542&lot_qual=

Hope this helps.
asoriano
asoriano
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks for the detective work, Turner. You're right, the image is identical. But when you compare the two pieces, a few notable differences bring the origin of the "cabinet" into question.

The color print reads "safe at home - 1878"
The cabinet reads "Tom McDermott's Winning Slide" and below it, "Kingston vs. Poughkeepsie, 1886."

Why does the same scene have different dates/events associated with it? Maybe the image doesn't actually depict McDermott's winning slide but instead just a generic baseball scene, and the cabinet maker liked the image enough to use it anyway.

The Hunt auction states that the color print was produced circa 1940 (although the image is certainly from the 19th century). There likely isn't any connection between the two pieces, but I still question whether or not the Poughkeepsie cabinet is truly a legit 19th century piece.

OK I'll stop blabbering now Smile

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? 542
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:53 am

Hmm I should have looked harder. The images aren't identical. But they are close enough to make me believe they were derived from the same generic source image. It has a very Harpers Woodcut feel to it, doesn't it?

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Poughk111886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Poug210

(Most noticeably different in the outfield stands, sliding player's dust, and catcher's right foot)
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:09 pm

What troubles me most about this item is that the image is poorly cut. this is most noticable on the upper left (as pro9 indicated) and the right edge also wavers a bit (as TheBig6 stated), and the bottom edge appears to have A hitch in the cut. Also, the image is a trapezoid, being wider at the top, than at the bottom:

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Image212
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:27 am

Hello all,

I could be way off here, but weren't cabinets made by photographers to mount a photograph on? Why would a professional photographer mount an image like this, that isn't even a photo, on one of his mounts with his name on it? I don't believe this is a real cabinet at all. Where did the scan come from?

Thanks,

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:31 am

Good point Andy. I think you are spot on. HERE is where it came from.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:49 pm

If you look closely the faces of the sliding plyers are different. The photographer probably took McDermott's head and pasted it on the slider to make the image work for him.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 pm

rhettyeakley wrote:The photographer probably took McDermott's head and pasted it on the slider to make the image work for him.

Makes sense. What are your thoughts on the piece in general Rhett? Is it legit?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by dstudeba Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm

I like Rhett's explanation. Within the past year I saw an example of a Cabinet card where they took a man's face and posted it on a player's body. The strange bit was that it was a Virginia Brights (woman's) body. Shocked

dstudeba
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Empty I think the Poughkeepsie...

Post by T206Collector Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:01 pm

...cabinet is a modern repro. The style of the art doesn't seem period to me, and I don't like the casual way the head appears to have been pasted on the runner sliding home.
T206Collector
T206Collector
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

http://www.T206Collector.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:54 am

FWIW, my opinion is that the cab is period. I doubt a modern reprint would have such a crude insertion of the face of the player. I like Rhett's explanation.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
1886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 1001886 Poughkeepsie Cabinet - look a little odd? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:03 pm

I agree that the cabinet is period, and Rhett's explanation makes sense as well. But I still question the overall legitimacy of the piece. As others have suggested, I suspect that it was originally two separate pieces, and that the Pougheepsie premium/woodcut was later glued onto the cabinet backing.

The fact that it's a cabinet but the image is not photographic is the immediate question combined with those jagged edges....highly questionable imo.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 am

I would have liked to see the piece in person before passing judgement as to whether the piece was period or not. 19th century photographers were pretty creative people and this piece could very well be totally period, but there are a few things about it that look a little "off". That being said, it was a pretty neat item regardless.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down