Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view.

3 posters

Go down

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Empty Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view.

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:57 am

I recently won a 1974 Sports Scoop on eBay and a few members stated they wanted me to post the article on Larry Fritsch when I received the magazine. Well, I received it today. Unfortunately, the article is only one page. The GREAT NEWS is that I found an ad for some E92 Nadja St. Louis players. This is news for our GREAT HOBBY, as it was thought these cards were not "known" until Fritsch and/or Lipset found them in the 1980's. I posted the ad with these E92's in another thread for all to view.

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Fritsc10

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Empty Re: Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view.

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:28 am

St Louis Nadjas have always been know. Prior to the big find, the St Louis players were very rare.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Empty Re: Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view.

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:51 am

Jay, this was from 1974. I wasn't in the Hobby until 1978. However, from reading quite a bit on these E92's, it was my understanding that these weren't "known" in the Hobby until the 1980's. Do you have anything before this time period that lists these St. Louis players (ie: price guide)???

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:20 am

No, nothing in print. Sadly, why I sold my collection, I got rid of all my reference materials too. I do remember that St Louis players with Nadja backs were considered very rare.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Sounds like myself - when I quit collecting in 2001, I threw out all my publications as well (at least the ones I didn't give away or keep).

You are right - at one time, these were considered extremely rare. Now, they are the most common Nadjas from the E92 set.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:56 pm

When I bought my e92 Nadja Rebel Oakes, I wasn't aware of the huge find, so I bid under the assumption that St Luis players were rare. I paid $135 for the card in 2002. Shortly after that, I was told I overpaid because it was a St Louis players and told about the find. I've since turned down on offer of $750.

I wasn't too worried about whether I overpaid or not since I knew that it was a card that I was going to remain a permanent part of my collection.

Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. E92oakes

Since I've bought the card, I have yet to see another one that has the vivid colors that mine has.

Jay

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Jay, you are very astute - that was a great purchase. Even if the St. Louis players are more plentiful, Oakes has ALWAYS been a popular card due to its pleasing aesthetics.

Looks like you had the last laugh with the people who said you overpaid. I know a few years back, I was paying what was then high prices for Croft's Cocoa cards and people told me the same thing. Well, when I quit collecting the Cocoas, I sold them for an average of 3x what I had in the cards, and this was after I gave some people "nice deals" on a few of the cards at NO PROFIT! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:35 pm

scott elkins wrote:I know a few years back, I was paying what was then high prices for Croft's Cocoa cards and people told me the same thing. Well, when I quit collecting the Cocoas, I sold them for an average of 3x what I had in the cards, and this was after I gave some people "nice deals" on a few of the cards at NO PROFIT! righton

All it takes is just finding another sucker like me to come along and you're set! Very Happy

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:08 pm

Scott, actually YOU were the one I sold Cocoas to at cost! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:12 pm

scott elkins wrote:Scott, actually YOU were the one I sold Cocoas to at cost! righton

Scott,

I know you gave me some good deals for sure and there were probably a few where I overpaid by most other peoples standards.

I don't regret any of the transactions since they have brought me closer and closer to my goal of an all Crofts Cocoa set which I doubt anyone in the hobby has ever had since the "old timers" tended to collect E92 as one set without regard to the backs.

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Larry Fritsch article from 1974 for members to view. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:42 pm

I guess the overpaying stemmed from me overpaying on several when I was working on the set.

The ones I made great money on were the ones I sold when I was still collecting the set - there were a handful of people that wanted the Wagner and some others, I didn't want to sell, then they offered me some offers I couldn't refuse!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down