Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First female to drafted in the MLB?

4 posters

Go down

First female to drafted in the MLB? Empty First female to drafted in the MLB?

Post by sabrjay Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 pm

sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
First female to drafted in the MLB? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100First female to drafted in the MLB? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

First female to drafted in the MLB? Empty Re: First female to drafted in the MLB?

Post by Theo_450 Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 pm

I wonder if they will do gender testing. My mother in law did some lab work like that for the Atlanta Olympics back in the day. I thinking they genetically tested every single athlete for gender.
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
First female to drafted in the MLB? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100First female to drafted in the MLB? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

First female to drafted in the MLB? Empty Re: First female to drafted in the MLB?

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Not sure how far she'll get in developmental leagues, but best of luck. I think there was a Niekro-tutored knuckleballer that people were talking about a couple years ago.

Recently ran across this story of a female manager in semi-pro baseball shortly after women's suffrage while researching another project:

The 1925 Edmonds baseball club was managed by Emma A. Hough (1877-1940). Born in Nebraska, she moved with her family to Edmonds/Everett/Snohomish, Washington shortly after 1920. She was never referred to by her name in newsprint in reference to the team, just by her husbands' "Mrs. Frank Hough". The only employment info of Frank Hough  (1871-1946) I could find was as a "Clothes Presser" on his WW1 draft registration, yet he and Emma had been married since 1894.  How she started to manage a town baseball team is a mystery.

She knew the game. After the team lost to Snohomish County League champions Granite Falls she proposed, "Mrs. Frank Hough, manager of the local team, challenged Nevins, manager of the Granite Falls team, for another game on the Everett grounds, with a Seattle Umpire, but Nevins refused unless he could have his same umpires he had at Granite Falls. Our boys have done excellent work this summer.... and the loss of Sunday's game was not entirely their fault." (9-25-25, Tribune Review) 5 to 4 loss in ten innings to Granite Falls. The Edmonds team finished their 1925 campaign with 18 wins and 4 losses, to capture the Snohomish County Independent Championship.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
First female to drafted in the MLB? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100First female to drafted in the MLB? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:41 pm

If I recall correctly the Negro Leagues had a female owner and manager.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
First female to drafted in the MLB? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100First female to drafted in the MLB? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:23 am

The Newark Eagles (ca. 1936-46) were co-owned by Effa Manley; http://www.blackpast.org/aah/manley-effa-1900-1981

The 1925 Edmonds team was led by Emma Hough in the dugout and Jimmy Claxton on the mound. Claxton's strikeout numbers were other-worldly; on consecutive Sundays from July 7 to August 10 (Edmonds Tribune Review) he had 18 strike outs versus Bothell, 17 K's versus Highland Park, 18 in eight innings versus Interbay (shortened by protest), 18 versus Best Lock of Seattle, and 22 K's versus Washington Park Merchants (in only nine innings, WPM had won 14 straight). The team title was the only one Claxton claimed at the end of a season in his career.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:33 pm

she was added to the pool, i just don't see how women can complete with men in a sport like baseball. i don't think any team would be desperate enough for publicity to give her a tryout either. i remember when i was buying packs in the old days manon rheaume was the all the buzz in hockey...nothing ever materialized although i did have a sweet pull of an autograph card of her Smile
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
First female to drafted in the MLB? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100First female to drafted in the MLB? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down