Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

consider reduction of categories

+2
ItsOnlyGil
blacksoxfan
6 posters

Go down

consider reduction of categories Empty consider reduction of categories

Post by blacksoxfan Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 am

Have you guys considered going with fewer subcats?

blacksoxfan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

consider reduction of categories Empty Re: consider reduction of categories

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:26 am

Specifically, how do you recommend organizing this forum?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 am

I've considered making the BST a single category, with all the separate sections as subcategories within it. That would save some front page space, although I haven't discussed that with the other admins yet. Otherwise, the forum structure seems to be working well so we'll likely stick with what we've got.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksoxfan Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 am

ItsOnlyGil wrote:Specifically, how do you recommend organizing this forum?

For example: i'd clip down the B/S/T into one forum.

I have not setup phpbb in a while so i don't remember how the heirarchy works.
Most usability testers would say that the traffic that is here combined with the already streamlined focus (aka niche focus) would suggest that you kill off a lot of the superfulous ones and let people have the freedom to post things in a broader category.

I would absolutely reduce the off-topics as well. Again, just some food for thought, but thought i'd mention.

blacksoxfan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 am

blacksoxfan wrote:For example: i'd clip down the B/S/T into one forum.

I have not setup phpbb in a while so i don't remember how the heirarchy works.
Most usability testers would say that the traffic that is here combined with the already streamlined focus (aka niche focus) would suggest that you kill off a lot of the superfulous ones and let people have the freedom to post things in a broader category.

I would absolutely reduce the off-topics as well. Again, just some food for thought, but thought i'd mention.

These are worthy suggestions, Ted. As I've said above I was considering the same thing with the BST. I think it's a good idea. Also I'm strongly considering merging the "members directory" into the "bullpen".

Thanks.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksoxfan Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:46 am

hey ben -
Think nothing of it - just some thoughts, that's all. For every usability person out there that says one thing - you'll find someone else that says something different. If you want me to get absolutely snobbish and make some more detailed suggestions:

1) Combine "Pre-WW2 Cards, Hoby News, and recent acquisitions" into a single forum called "Hobby Talk"
2) Seperate out the info center (which i would rename simply "Info Center")
3) Merge the B/S/T into one category.
4) either kill off the OT forum entirely or just simplify it. I don't think you need a fantasy cat as that only happens about once a year. The topics in members directory (which i would call "Introductions") would probably do better if included in the meat of the board as it would encourage the community feeling.

Not remembering how to structure the whole thing - i would hide the big headers (currently: Hobby Talk / Buy,Sell,Trade / Off-Topic) and simply have the 4 cats above (all though 3 would be idea :-)

Again - this is just me...but i never think it hurts to make a suggestion. If you guys want me to point you to some readings on the topic of web usability - i'll be glad to toss it your way. Good thing you guys have going here - keep it up .

blacksoxfan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:12 am

Ted, thanks for the input. It's always appreciated. I like the idea of condensing things as that will get the chatroom more visibility. I'm sure some people won't like it, but with the ability to subscribe to threads and see posts made since your last visit, it shouldn't really be that big a problem.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksoxfan Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am

sabrjay wrote:Ted, thanks for the input. It's always appreciated. I like the idea of condensing things as that will get the chatroom more visibility. I'm sure some people won't like it, but with the ability to subscribe to threads and see posts made since your last visit, it shouldn't really be that big a problem.

Jay

You never will satisfy 100% of the people. To put all this simply: If the goal of this site is to put people intouch with information - the fewer steps they have to go through to get that information - the more likely they are to find the site useful. Preventing Inundation of information is something you guys can do proactively. Alright, I've said my piece. :-)

blacksoxfan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:24 am

I've condensed the BST and members directory. Lets allow a short trial period for now and there are no serious objections after a few days, we'll let it ride. Might take a little getting used to but I think it's an improvement. Thanks again Ted for the feedback, it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to make a change that I had been considering for weeks.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by blacksoxfan Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:26 am

fisherboy7 wrote:I've condensed the BST and members directory. Lets allow a short trial period for now and there are no serious objections after a few days, we'll let it ride. Might take a little getting used to but I think it's an improvement. Thanks again Ted for the feedback, it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to make a change that I had been considering for weeks.

Cool! It's definitely a difference :-) cheers.

blacksoxfan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacklitsch Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:50 am

Cool! It's definitely a difference :-) cheers.[/quote]

Agreed. Home page less cluttered. (Not that there was anything wrong with it before scratch )
Jacklitsch
Jacklitsch
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:22 pm

b/s./t is definately an improvement, however, where has the Member's Directory been located?

Please note: although there is good arguement for consolidation, some members appear to seek their individual identity (such as the 50s+ card enthusiasts), and a seperate location, other than "we put all of that crap in the Bull Pen". But if you cater to them, the memoribilia guys will be next, before long = football card collectors, hockey, golf and maybe even the dreaded non-sports guys!
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm

ItsOnlyGil wrote:b/s./t is definately an improvement, however, where has the Member's Directory been located?

Hey Gil - the threads in the members directory were all moved to the bullpen. There were only 4 threads in the MD total, so it didn't seem like merging it was a big deal. Nothing is set in stone though - if most people want the members directory back, I can put it there. It just wasn't getting enough action to merit its own category.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:58 am

Now that 24 hours have passed and we've had a chance to test it out, how do people feel about the change?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:04 am

I love the icons in the BST. Very nice touch.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Im still not sure that I've found the Member's Directory - the search function yields four possibles, but none seem right; and a tour of the Bull Pen reveals such notables as:
Toploaders
Funniest Beer Name, and
Merry Christmas!
Maybe if you made it sticky, but to me the Bull Pen is not the place.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:23 pm

Gil,

The posts in the members directory were just moved over into the bullpen. A quick scan of pg 1 of the bullpen reveals the "picture and brief summary" thread from the members directory. Several of the others are lingering on pg 2 including the "full count interactive map". Since the bullpen is described as "where you can talk about things that aren't related to the main theme of this forum", I personally don't see why former members directory posts wouldn't belong there. IMO the bullpen should be an all encompassing net for all off-topic posts.

From what I've gathered, the change to the BST has been well received overall, but several people have expressed that they'd like to see a return of the members directory. I'd have no problem doing that just as long as that category sees some more activity than it was getting before.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I agree with everyone else - I would like the return of the members' directory and leave the B/S/T thread alone - the change looks great!

The reason the members' directory doesn't get many new posts is that people usually post there when they join. It is a great reference for our members to find out about other members however and needs to be in a place easily found I believe.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
consider reduction of categories Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100consider reduction of categories Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:46 pm

OK fellas - the directory is back Cool
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down