Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defensive WAR

3 posters

Go down

Defensive WAR Empty Defensive WAR

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Sabermetricians,

This article sights "Defensive WAR" from baseball-reference.com.  Does anyone here know where to find that statistic on the website?  I've looked for it, and can't find it.  This article sights Brendan Ryan as having a league-leading defensive WAR of 3.6.

Thanks

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/sports/baseball/season-if-not-a-yankee-tenure-ends-with-september.html?ref=sports
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Defensive WAR Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Defensive WAR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Defensive WAR Empty Re: Defensive WAR

Post by pariah1107 Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Not a sabermetrician but here's the site on baseball reference.com. Far right column, top. Ryan is probably one of the best shortstops with the glove I've seen since Omar Vizquel in Seattle, and Mario Mendoza is a good barometer of his offense. No hit, great glove. Easy to root for, well-liked and a bit goofy in the clubhouse:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2012-batting-leaders.shtml
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Defensive WAR Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Defensive WAR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:21 pm

Ty, thanks for finding it. Strange that they would post that statistic among the batting leaders and yet not have it anywhere else on the individual player's page, especially considering the absolute plethora of stats they post, which is a good thing. It really is an awesome baseball resource.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:03 pm

i'm still not 100% sold on defensive WAR (i like where it's heading tho). just too many subjective interpretations and other variables not fully factored in yet. but just from the eye test it does back up guys like ryan, machado, arenado as beasts and jeter and some of his gold glove cohorts as terribad...so i like where it's going.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Defensive WAR Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Defensive WAR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:21 pm

It's cool now that offensive averages are coming down, there's room for defensive wizards with sub-.600 OPS's on rosters again. They were an extinct species, relegated to AA or AAA.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: