Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman.

+2
sabrjay
pariah1107
6 posters

Go down

Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Empty Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman.

Post by pariah1107 Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I went to Safeco Field last night for opening day with a client. I am a nurse. After entering Safeco near the Broadcast booth we waited for an elevator. Jamie Moyer (who threw out the opening pitch) was also there. The elevator came and Moyer, his wife, and others boarded but we were "in line". He waived us aboard and made room for my clients wheelchair. This sounds so sappy... but we (as a nurse/client unit) are typically invisible in social environments or worse regarded as an ADA nuisance. He was a polite gentleman, who with one simple gesture MADE Opening Day for us.

The only thing I could muster was a "Welcome back to Safeco Field, Mr. Moyer", but I'd like to say thank you to a truly class act.

Please share more stories of players being classy....
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Empty Re: Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman.

Post by sabrjay Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I was lucky enough to go to dinner with a group of people that included Joe DiMaggio. I was told there was only one rule for attending this dinner, you were not allowed to talk about or ask about Marilyn Monroe. I said not a problem. I want to talk baseball. He was very nice and answered all questions. Made for a great meal I'll never forget.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 am

sabrjay wrote:I was lucky enough to go to dinner with a group of people that included Joe DiMaggio. I was told there was only one rule for attending this dinner, you were not allowed to talk about or ask about Marilyn Monroe. I said not a problem. I want to talk baseball. He was very nice and answered all questions. Made for a great meal I'll never forget.

Ahhh, I know the feeling. When a woman is really beautiful like that, it can go to your head, and once the relationship is over, she never really leaves you. I've had it happen to me. After that, all other women just sort of pale in comparison.

ANYWAYS... to answer Ty's question, I was once flying from Boston to SF, and as I was passing through first class to my seat in coach, I recognized Tom Brady on the flight. He realized that I recognized him and looked up at me and smiled.

That was an obvious opening, and I could have said something, but I don't believe in disrupting stars, better to just leave them alone, it shows that you are equal to them and respect them. He had his girlfriend with him, who was insanely attractive, later I found out that was Bridget Moynihan.

Frankly, I wouldn't have left Bridget Moynihan for Gisele. Gisele is a bit funny looking, strong jaw. Bridget was realllllly something.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:14 am

jbonie wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't have left Bridget Moynihan for Gisele. Gisele is a bit funny looking, strong jaw. Bridget was realllllly something.

It's not like he left her without leaving his "mark" so to speak. bananarama 2

I've encountered a few basketball players in the past. Dominique Wilkins and his brother Gerald were both very personable.

When I read the original post, my thoughts drifted to my encounter with Todd Hamilton. The highlight of his career was winning the 2004 British Open at Royal Troon. I was at the Masters for one of the practice rounds 4 years ago. On the approach to the 18th green he hit his shot maybe 12 feet from the hole. He walks up to his ball and taps it with his putter to an older woman sitting on the fringe.

When he was walking off the driving range later that day, I asked him why he did that. He said "I was going to miss it anyway" and started laughing. He signed my practice round badge and I've liked him ever since.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm

I got to deal with a lot of basketball players, mostly Sacramento Kings players, during my years driving limo. Mitch Richmond was a great guy and regular. The most memorable event was one time when he opened the door to let me in and his 2 year old hit me square in the groin with a baseball. Got a good tip that night, lol. John Barry and Scott Pollard were regulars too. The stories I could tell about those two guys. Drove Jason Williams several times and picked up Randy Moss at the airport a few time to take him to Jason's house. Then there was Charles Barkley. Love that guy!

Everyone always asks me where all my autographed stuff is from all these celebs. I tell them, that it's not my job to bother them with stuff like that. The closest I am to having a celeb give me an autograph was the Del Rubio triplets telling me I had to take a picture with them so that I could prove I partied with craziest seniors alive. They were hoot and the stories they told about Bob Hope and others from that era would make your jaw drop.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

[quote="jbonie"]
sabrjay wrote:

Frankly, I wouldn't have left Bridget Moynihan for Gisele. Gisele is a bit funny looking, strong jaw. Bridget was realllllly something.

these are fighting words!

when did this meeting happen J? i've always thought brady handle his public image well, and he's very well-spoken in interviews. he might be a real prick or arrogant in real life but i like what he puts in front.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 pm

To me, Brady seemed like a really nice guy, and I'm sure he would've been friendly if I chose to talk to him, I just continued walking down the aisle because I don't like to disrupt sports stars. But then I told the woman next to me that he was on the plane and she went and got his autograph. I'm sure he's used to it.

Bridget Moynahan was insanely hot. Quite a few years older than him, though. Rumor has it that she knew the relationship was coming to an end and she intentionally went off the pill without telling him because she wanted to, um, bear the fruit of his loins. Women can be sneaky! Be careful out there, fellas!!!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Jamie Moyer, a Gentleman. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 am

I was fortunate enough to spend time with Joe Garagiola in 1997 as part of the National Spit Tobacco Education Program, or NSTEP (he told me a great Ted Williams story), and also with Bill Tuttle that same year. Bill was a Major Leaguer for part of 1952 and then from 1954 to early 1963. Bill was a great guy, a prolific cusser, and was kind enough to sign all of his player cards for me. He was, in fact, quite touched that I had actually made the effort to collect all of them. I'd be a mega-fanatic baseball guy even without those experiences, but they certainly added to my obsession and gave me great memories.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down