Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Questions about T Cards

3 posters

Go down

Random Questions about T Cards Empty Random Questions about T Cards

Post by madpunter88 Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm

I have several relatively random questions about T cards I wanted to throw out there:

1. Why do people list gigantic lots of reprints of the same card on eBay? You see auctions for "1,000 T206 Honus Wagner Reprints" (or similar) all the time. What in the world would a person do with thousands of copies of the same worthless reprint card?

2. Is there any value at all in reprint tobacco cards? I have zero desire to own any of the T-206 reprints but I wonder if there are any reprints that actually hold specific value greater than nothing?

3. Is there a premium paid for a Topps T-206 buyback over a regular T-206 loose card? In other words, if one had one should they take it out of the Topps holder or keep it in the Topps frame? (note, I do not have one -- just curious)

madpunter88
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Random Questions about T Cards Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Random Questions about T Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Random Questions about T Cards Empty Re: Random Questions about T Cards

Post by sabrjay Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

!. People (usually scam artists) will buy these so that they can practice doctoring the reprint until they have something that they think someone will think is real.

2. The only reprint/fake that comes to mind that has any value is the Pete Rose rookie that forged in the early 80s. They were confiscated by the FBI and then released with "Counterfeit" stamped on the back.

3. The frame is basically the same as if the card were slabbed by one of the grading companies. I don't follow t206s but I know when they first came out there was a small premium being paid for them.

Hope this helps
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Random Questions about T Cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Random Questions about T Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by madpunter88 Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks Jay. My other, relatively related question, is probably rhetorical. Why do people selling cards worth hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars not bother to get a cheap digital camera and take proper photos of the cards or write a coherent description?

madpunter88
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Random Questions about T Cards Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Random Questions about T Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Usually they are scam artists, selling fakes, or they have no clue what they have. Either way, it's a read flag that requires asking the seller a lot of questions.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Random Questions about T Cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Random Questions about T Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:29 pm

i've seen sellers with high dollar cards having fuzzy scans or dark photos. i just chalk it up to the collector not being very tech-savvy. people collecting/having these cards are most likely middle-aged and don't have a tumblr or instagram account.

also i do believe the t206 in those topps buyback command a premium, because they sell for more than a raw t206.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Random Questions about T Cards Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Random Questions about T Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by madpunter88 Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd like to believe it is because they just are not tech savvy rather than all scammers...as that would mean about half the auctions on eBay are fakes. It astounds me, though, that people can't take the time to take decent photos, write a proper description, etc.

I want to scream..."You are costing yourself considerable money on the final sale price by half-assing the photos or taking a single photo of all ten cards you are trying to sell in separate auctions and expecting the buyer to differentiate!"

I could go on and on....

madpunter88
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum