Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diamond Cut Cards

+3
ItsOnlyGil
scott elkins
TheBig6
7 posters

Go down

Diamond Cut Cards Empty Diamond Cut Cards

Post by TheBig6 Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:29 pm

I think I just bought my first true Diamond Cut Card. His scan was bad , I'll no more when I get it. Anyway, I was wondering if the grading companies down grade for diamond cuts, how common are they and do they bother you.

If you have any in your collections could you show them.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Diamond Cut Cards Empty Re: Diamond Cut Cards

Post by scott elkins Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:46 pm

I had some diamond cut E98's. They were nice crease-free EX range cards otherwise. SGC graded them 40's - which I agreed with their grades.

Personally, they do not bother me. I would rather have a factory diamond cut card than one beat to death. Also, the diamond cuts are good for letting one be certain they have a "factory" cut card and not a trimmed one - as long as the cuts match of course.

However, I did have a few problems selling those two diamond cut E98's. There were about five people who turned them down b/c of the cuts before I sold them to an "old-timer" like myself (that didn't mind them). I also sold them at cost, so I actually lost postage and insurance on those in the long run.

My recommendation is that if you are buying the diamond cut card or cards for your collection, and they do not bother you, then fine. If you are buying them with thoughts of reselling, you had better get them at a nice discount, as several do not like the diamond cuts for some reason.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:24 pm

I think that is sound advice, Scott. I'd like to add that there are collectors (me, for example) who believe that whatever way a card came from the manufacturer is that card's "mint condition" Although, I will agree that by this definition, not all "mint" cards are equal.

But why should they be?

Not all mint automobiles, females, firecrackers, window shades, etc. are equivalent performers, even when from the same manufacturer.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Diamond cuts don't bother me too much. What set is yours from Jerry? Some sets are prone to it, like Crofts Cocoas and D359's.

Diamond Cut Cards D359baker
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Here's a link to the card I bought. The seller had about a dozen cards listed all with the same uncropped blurry scans. So, was banking on him not knowing how to use his scanner rather than trying to hide something. I'm ok with the price seeing as how a SGC 50 one sold in recent Sloate auction for almost 700.00. What do you think. I have wanted this card for awhile now, the green background and pose really makes for a nice looking card..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260217496138&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:16 pm

I agree, the green background is what you notice on this card. Shocked
And since there has to be a reason for the grade, this slight miscut is a cheap price to pay. naughty
OJs, now theres a set with some interesting cuts. But its all for fun, and even they are good. Exclamation
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:57 pm

I agree with Scott. Selling them could be a bit tougher because of the angle cut but it doesnt bother me one bit.
Thats a beautiful card IMO that I would have no problem owning if it resided in my collection.
Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm

I had some really nice American Caramel WIld West cards with diamond cuts that SGC just hammered. Their grading guidelines way say that card can grade in the 80s with a diamond cut, but I've never seen one higher than a 50 and they were my cards. Scott's 40s are usually what diamond cuts get, no matter how nice.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:27 pm

diamond cuts don't bother me at all...although i do notice most prefer nice centered examples. imo they've been spoiled by the T cards...about 1/3rd of the caramels I see have some form of tilt to it...some issues more pronounced than others.

sgc should not hammer the dc cards too much? if they're going to judge aesthetics instead of just the technicalities of the card then what's next, downgrading cards for registration or the photo quality of OJs?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Diamond Cut Cards Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Diamond Cut Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down