Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possession is nine-tenths of the law...

4 posters

Go down

Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Empty Possession is nine-tenths of the law...

Post by pariah1107 Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm

I collect Central Washington University memorabilia. I recently purchased an item on fleabay, a 1928 Washington State Tri-Normal Relay Trophy. The Tri-Normal Relay was a track meet between the educational colleges (Normal schools) of Western, Central, and Eastern Washington. This looks like a championship trophy, not an individual award. Now in my possession I began to wonder; How did this trophy get into private hands? Shouldn't it be in a school trophy case somewhere?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASHINGTON-STATE-UNIVERSITY-1928-TROPHIE-TRI-NORMAL-RELAY-SILVER-CUP-ELLENSBURG-/350629537392?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=tE5%2FlhsYFKiNnG10rSN5k3i%2B4NE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The seller said he found the trophy at an antique mall. How would a collector remedy this problem of a possibly stolen college trophy? Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Empty Re: Possession is nine-tenths of the law...

Post by seablaster Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 pm

That is a nice little trophy.

Never having been in this situation myself, I would think the best course of action would be to contact the normal school which won the 1928 event directly and ask if they even have any record of possessing this trophy.

That being said, they may or may not ask for it back of course.

Much respect to the OP for bringing up the topic of rightful ownership instead of just taking possession and calling it a day.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Empty Re: Possession is nine-tenths of the law...

Post by jbonie Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Interesting trophy. I think it's worth contacting the school and if they want it back, then maybe they could accept it as a donation and you could get a tax deduction. The trophy may not go down as your finest investment, but you'd have the peace of mind of having done the right thing.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 pm

is the track meet still ongoing? maybe the tradition ended and the trophy was auctioned off/given out somewhere down the line.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Possession is nine-tenths of the law... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I'd like to thank those on the board for the suggestions. I'll try variations of all. Sunday, went up to the Central Washington campus and did a little microfiche work at the library. On May 14 1928, the Washington State Normal School of Ellensburg (CWU) won the event. So, it is now in the right town. I'll talk to the archivist at CWU Tuesday. Probably take Jamie's advice and offer it to the university as a tax deduction.

Also, the trophy was sponsored by "Cram-Nesbit of Ellensburg", a local Buick dealership. Both the Cram and Nesbit families still live here, may try to contact them if things don't pan out with the University. The tri-normal relay ended in 1946. At which time the Normal school in Ellensburg changed its names to Central Washington College of Education. Track events between the three teacher colleges ended at that time. Thanks again gang.

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:04 am

CHALK THIS UP TO: "I didn't want to know".

Yes, CWU is interested in reacquiring it and the charitable CWU Foundation makes the donation tax deductible at FMV. Turns out, up until the late '80's these trophies were being sold by university surplus, and whatever did not sell was burned; including uniforms, trophies, oak desks, deco light fixtures. Can't imagine the history that was put to the torch.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum