Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Input on Auctioneers

5 posters

Go down

Looking for Input on Auctioneers Empty Looking for Input on Auctioneers

Post by LucasRiley Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:12 am

So, I'm considering liquidation of about half of my collection, and I'm looking for feedback on who you folks consider the auction/consignment services that best combine reputability with 'bang for the buck.' Not to be indiscreet, but I know this is probably relevant when making a recommendation, so: My 'guestimate' on approximate overall value is in the $25-$30K range. The cards are almost entirely 1950-1960, and largely composed of entire sets, but I'm also considering moving my nearly 200 T206's via lots. Also, I'm in Maryland, so I'm looking for someone I can deal with in a reasonably convenient manner (i.e., doesn't just do West Coast and/or I don't have to bring my stuff to them).

Here are some possible suitors I've identified through past experience and internet research:
- REA (don't know if I 'rate' their attention)
- Goodwin (ditto)
- Huggins & Scott (I've heard some negative things on this board about them)
- Memory Lane
- House of Cards (they're VERY local to me, and I've purchased from them before with satisfaction)
- SCP
- Mile High (probably too non-regional?)

I'm open to all input and any other suggestions. Many thanks!
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Looking for Input on Auctioneers Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Looking for Input on Auctioneers Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Looking for Input on Auctioneers Empty Re: Looking for Input on Auctioneers

Post by ValKehl Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:43 am

Hi Lucas,
I'd be inclined to go with REA first and Goodwin second, if my items "rated their attention." Goodwin does not charge a seller's commission, whereas some of the other auction houses do.

My next choice, if I wanted an auction house that does glossy catalogs, would be Huggins & Scott. FYI, Huggins & Scott is essentially the same as House of Cards, inasmuch as Bill Huggins is the key principal of both. I've known and dealt with Bill Huggins since the mid-1980s, and I used to attend the local auctions he held in Silver Spring back in the 1990s (FYI, I live in the DC suburb of Centreville, VA). I believe Bill Huggins to be compeltely reliable, and at the very least, using H & S will save you the cost of shipping your items to a distant auction house.

Also, there are a some reputable online-only auction houses that have sprung up in the last few years. FYI, for what few items I have sold via auction houses over the years, I have used Goodwin, H & S, and Brockelman & Luckey (online-only), and I have been fully satisfied with each of them. Actually, I have sold far more cards via eBay than via these auction houses, but this requires time and effort as well as paying commissions to eBay/PayPal.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Looking for Input on Auctioneers Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Looking for Input on Auctioneers Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 am

For the low-grade T206's, I would recommend Sterling Auctions. I have never met Lee personally but he is a very good guy to deal with and cards like that tend to sell well there.

I have never done business with Bill Huggins but those post-war sets seem like the type of thing that are commonly sold in his auctions. He also has a very low Buyer's Premium, so that means more money in your pocket.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Looking for Input on Auctioneers Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Looking for Input on Auctioneers Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 pm

if the 50-60 topps are high grade i'd consider memory lane, seems like they do alot of that stuff.

the t206s will sell anywhere, but i wouldn't put them in the high-tiered houses like REA because they will be overlooked.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Looking for Input on Auctioneers Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Looking for Input on Auctioneers Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Recently consigned my first items to Sterling Sports Auctions and am VERY pleased with both the "action" and Lee's customer service. Highly recommend them.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Looking for Input on Auctioneers Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Looking for Input on Auctioneers Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:09 am

Thank you, gentlemen, for the feedback. Lots of good guidance!
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down