Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leave Sam Crawford alone!!!

4 posters

Go down

Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Empty Leave Sam Crawford alone!!!

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm

I was just flipping through the Huggins & Scott catalog when I came across what might be the greatest autograph ever.

Apparently some guy would not stop writing old Sam for his autograph, so he sends him this message...

“I sent you autograph last Oct – So please desist - 2 plaque cards should be enough.”

He even felt the need to underline the word desist. Classic. Seriously, how great is this?

Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! 47670_sam_crawford
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Empty Re: Leave Sam Crawford alone!!!

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm

BigGuy219 wrote:I was just flipping through the Huggins & Scott catalog when I came across what might be the greatest autograph ever.

Apparently some guy would not stop writing old Sam for his autograph, so he sends him this message...

“I sent you autograph last Oct – So please desist - 2 plaque cards should be enough.”

He even felt the need to underline the word desist. Classic. Seriously, how great is this?

I have seen this before...I have a loose recollection this might have been directed at Thomas Eakin, who was an avid autograph collector, and later the founder of the Ohio Baseball Hall of Fame. I could be wrong about that though...

I now own one of Crawford's autographs (Gov't Postcard) to Eakin.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:13 am

greedy sob...
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 am

Whoever the "greedy sob" was, his persistence got him a third autograph!!
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:44 am

Aha - I just stumbled across the reference to Sam's "desist" note to Tom Eakin...seems to be separate from the one posted earlier in this thread.

Here is the reference from the Leland's 2002 auction featuring the note to Tom:

One side panel of this off-brand ball is signed "Wahoo Sam Crawford" and dated "Sept. 4 - 1965." The other panel recounts the Hall of Fame stats of this rare talent. NRMT-MT. Also included are two handwritten index cards from Crawford. First accompanied the baseball and notes that the autograph seeker owes Wahoo eighteen cents for postage. The second reads, "Tom, A few months ago I autographed a ball for you. Now the plaque cards. Must ask you to please desist."
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Leave Sam Crawford alone!!! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down