Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pet Peeves

5 posters

Go down

Pet Peeves Empty Pet Peeves

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:36 am

What is/are your hobby pet peeve(s)?

It bugs me when collectors automatically assume a card is altered/reprint just because it's not slabbed. Grading has only been around for a short time! Your own brain and two eyes can tell you all you need to know about a card if you've taken the time to familiarize yourself on the characteristics of that issue. Don't get me wrong, grading saves alot of newbies from getting scammed on reprints, but it's folly to assume that all raw cards have to have something wrong with them.

On the other hand, I suppose that could work in one's favor; I've made some great deals on raw cards probably because many were scared off due to the lack of a slab.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Pet Peeves Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Pet Peeves Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Pet Peeves Empty Re: Pet Peeves

Post by cccc Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:47 am

cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Pet Peeves Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Pet Peeves Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:48 am

fisherboy7 wrote:
It bugs me when collectors automatically assume a card is altered/reprint just because it's not slabbed. Grading has only been around for a short time! Your own brain and two eyes can tell you all you need to know about a card if you've taken the time to familiarize yourself on the characteristics of that issue. Don't get me wrong, grading saves alot of newbies from getting scammed on reprints, but it's folly to assume that all raw cards have to have something wrong with them.

Hi Ben,

I agree with the premise generally, and I have gotten some of my best deals on raw cards...maybe there is an element of what you raise factored into these great deals.

But why is that a pet peeve for you? Seems to me like this is in fact a huge opportunity/advantage for those of us who have taken the time to gain personal experience.

(Also I have to admit I see some humor in this post in the context of today's discussion on this Board about CJ reprints...You and Jay disagree on whether a card is a reprint despite each of your extensive experience and clear scans...And I have quite a bit of experience with those cards too - I have raw and graded examples right in front of me right now, but I was on the fence...That is exactly why TPGs are a legitimate choice and can be very helpful in certain cases.)
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Pet Peeves Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Pet Peeves Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:58 am

Blair, the pet peeve is very minor... mostly to do with the blind faith that many collectors put into the "professional" graders (serious air quotes there). Often it appears to come as a substitute for doing one's homework and really learning the ins and outs of a particular card set.

As you mentioned, there is an element of "your loss is my gain" here, but overall I think it's much more rewarding if newer collectors read up and truly engage in the info available instead of putting all their faith in the TPG's. BTW, in no way do I see Jay as one of those collectors (of course)! But he is plainly wrong with regards to those CJ's posted today Wink
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 am

D'OH!! homer simpson

Quan, did you miss it the first time when it was listed @ $800 and ended with no bids?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 am

that's why i'm pissed, i should've picked it up the first go round. i asked the seller the measurement of the card but he didn't get back to me until he relisted.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:18 am

Here is a pet peeve I have. Though I'm hesitant to post it.

I am not a member of the "other board." I don't have a problem with anything or anyone over there, but it's just a little too serious and too large a community for my sensibilities. I found this board first years ago, and it just has a 'small town feel' and there's not too much drama.

Anyway. There have been times when I have been at big shows and got to talking to other collectors and dealers and was asked what my username on the "other board" was. I told them I wasn't a member, and the result was always a roll of the eyes and I got the general impression they felt that made me inexperienced and unknowledgable.

That's really bothered me.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Pet Peeves Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pet Peeves Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:34 am

BigGuy219 wrote:
Anyway. There have been times when I have been at big shows and got to talking to other collectors and dealers and was asked what my username on the "other board" was. I told them I wasn't a member, and the result was always a roll of the eyes and I got the general impression they felt that made me inexperienced and unknowledgable.

That's really bothered me.

consider yourself lucky...you can always tell them you're chaddurbin and get a punch in the nose instead.

i wouldn't sweat it...whoever rolled their eyes at you is prolly an 2009 or later member, i'd bet a shiny refractor on that.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 am

My pet peeve is changing the contrast on Old Judge scans, as I believe one prominent auction house does.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Pet Peeves Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Pet Peeves Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: