Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be?

+4
pariah1107
ValKehl
cccc
BigGuy219
8 posters

Go down

If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Empty If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be?

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 am

Would you want to be at the first World Series? One of Mathewson's WS shutouts? Ruth's 60th fomer? Ruth's called shot in the '32 WS? Grover Cleveland Alexander's relief performance in the '26 WS? One of Cobb vs Wagner's games in the '09 series? One of the 'Black Sox' games in the '19 WS? Or something that doesn't immediately come to mind?

Personally, I would like to have been at the one game playoff between the Cubs and the Giants in 1908 following the Merkle boner. I heard it was absoloutely crazy there and several Cubs were lucky to escape with their lives. Two of the best teams of the era colliding with everything on the line. Lot of star power there too. I think it was Mathewson vs Brown?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Empty Re: If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be?

Post by cccc Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:27 am

probably a '19 black sox/cinci world series game.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Empty Re: If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be?

Post by ValKehl Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 am

The 7th game of the 1924 World Series - WaJo is the winner in relief for the Wash. Senators only W.S. Championship.
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:27 am

I'll stay with 1924... Claxtons' only recorded no-hitter (June 22, 1924) in the Tacoma Industrial League. A great pitcher at his best. The first two men got on due to errors and Claxton finished the rest in order (4-1 victory). Fielder Jones was the president of the T.I.L., but when Babe Ruth came to town on a barnstorming tour; the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter that season (Claxton) was left off the All-Star roster. Would also ask Fielder WTF?
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 am

September 11, 1928, Yankee Stadium.
Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees.
Final Score: NY 5, DET 3.
Cobb, Tyrus R. - 0-1, no RBI, no K's.

Last game in which the single greatest overall player to ever take part in this game (personal opinion) came to bat. A ticket stub from this event would be, to me, priceless.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:08 am

I thought Cobb finished his career with the Athletics.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 am

Merkle's Boner.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Lucas got everything right except the team Cobb played for. It was the Athletics.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:14 pm

I would want to see this game:

19 June 1846, the first officially recorded, organized baseball match was played under Alexander Joy Cartwright's rules on Hoboken's Elysian Fields with the New York Base Ball Club defeating the Knickerbockers 23-1. Cartwright umpired.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

sabrjay wrote:I would want to see this game:

19 June 1846, the first officially recorded, organized baseball match was played under Alexander Joy Cartwright's rules on Hoboken's Elysian Fields with the New York Base Ball Club defeating the Knickerbockers 23-1. Cartwright umpired.

probably a cluster$%#@ where no one was really sure what they were doing.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100If you could be at one pre-war game, which would it be? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:15 am

Woops! Yes, I confess, I completely Merkled that one. ninja

The rest is accurate, though! I swear! And it's still my answer to this question.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down