Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I do with these cards?

+7
Jim Rivera cfc1909
LucasRiley
fisherboy7
ullmandds
bowlingshoeguy
jbonie
tdouglas
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Empty Re: What should I do with these cards?

Post by Bosox Blair Sat May 26, 2012 6:00 pm

tdouglas wrote:Thanks for the responses, guys. I have a final, opposite question: I have some cards that are in mint condition, what I would grade as a PSA 9, at the minimum. No wear, no dirt, razor sharp corners. The centering is perfect. However, these are no-name players.

Are these worth getting graded, just because of the condition they are in?

Here's a frame of reference - in the Sterling Auction that ended this week I bought over 30 commons graded PSA 8 from 1959-1960s for an average of under $12 each. Somebody must have paid at least $5 each to have these graded...not much of a payoff to ultimately sell the card for less than $7...

I used to pay way more for cards like these 30 years ago!

These are sharp, sharp cards that "only" graded 8 - here is one:

What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 1959_d10
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Empty Re: What should I do with these cards?

Post by terjung Sat May 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Blair, Don't forget that the seller doesn't get the buyer's premium, so subtract the vig from your "less than $12" too. That would yield probably a little over $10 each to the seller.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 pm

terjung wrote:Blair, Don't forget that the seller doesn't get the buyer's premium, so subtract the vig from your "less than $12" too. That would yield probably a little over $10 each to the seller.

Very good point, Brian! So the guy goes to the trouble/cost of grading and consigning the cards only to net no more than $5 per card. (No shot intended at the consignor or at Sterling...I'm just trying to illustrate the economics of this...I personally don't think it works out.)

Ultimately every time I look at a 50s-60s raw common in my collection - no matter how sharp - I decide it is not worth sending it for grading in hopes of selling it...even on TPG grading specials.

Of course the comments about getting a 10 on a card are right - that would pay off. But honestly that is more like winning the lottery than anything else. I look at that Delock above and I think that if I had that card raw I'd assume it should get a 9 or better. But that rarely ever happens.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by tdouglas Sat May 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Jim Rivera cfc1909 wrote:Make sure you send all the cards in together at one time. That is your best cahnce at getting higher grades

That's what I'm doing, but I'm curious: what is the rationale behind that?

Also, Blair, that PSA 8 looks phenomenal! I have to believe that if you reviewed it, you could get a higher score.

I had a couple of cards in similar condition that I sent in under the May special offer. It was only $5.50 per card, so I figured it was worth the gamble. Worst case scenario, I should be able to break even on it, or maybe lose a buck or two. Best case scenario, I can net a decent profit. Either way, it's a learning experience for me, and it will help me do more accurate self-evaluations on cards should I continue this hobby, which I'm leaning towards doing.

The community has been nothing but helpful, and this whole self-grading/researching prices/learning about older cards has been more fun than it has been tedious. I'm thinking about investing any money I make into starting my own collection.

tdouglas
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 am

if a grader is looking at 25 or so of the same isssue and some are slightly better, chances are you will get a better grade on the slightly better cards. If a grader looks at cards individual there is little chance for him/her to see that a card may be slightly better than the other.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by MSTEELE Sun May 27, 2012 6:09 am

Bosox Blair wrote:

Here's a frame of reference - in the Sterling Auction that ended this week I bought over 30 commons graded PSA 8 from 1959-1960s for an average of under $12 each. Somebody must have paid at least $5 each to have these graded...not much of a payoff to ultimately sell the card for less than $7...

I used to pay way more for cards like these 30 years ago!

These are sharp, sharp cards that "only" graded 8 - here is one:

What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 1959_d10

Blair: Now I know who sniped me late on the Delock in Sterling the other night Laughing . Sweet card!
PS: It was probably you too on the Sammy White #486 Smile
MSTEELE
MSTEELE
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun May 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Blair lives on the west coast so he has the advantage.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What should I do with these cards? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon May 28, 2012 12:22 am

[quote="MSTEELE"]
Bosox Blair wrote:
Blair: Now I know who sniped me late on the Delock in Sterling the other night Laughing . Sweet card!
PS: It was probably you too on the Sammy White #486 Smile

Hi Michael,

Yes - it was me on the White too.

Crazy part was I wasn't intentionally sniping...I didn't see those cards until late...I had been bidding on some pre-war stuff that I got knocked out of in overtime, so I started browsing the post-war stuff and saw all those graded Red Sox...

As Jamie says, it wasn't as late in my time zone coffee
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by benjaminplante Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 am

Those are some nice looking cards (a little new for my taste) but I would suggest having them all graded at a cheaper monthly special rate. And since you just "inherited" the cards, i'm sure you won't be demanding extreme top dollar amounts for each card like the big card guys on ebay. Even consider having the nicer commons graded for those set registry freaks. A PSA 9 common probably fetches more than a psa 5 hof legend. Your cards should sell fast and you'll be in the money!
benjaminplante
benjaminplante
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2