Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say No to Catalogs

+4
sabrjay
bowlingshoeguy
cccc
jbonie
8 posters

Go down

Say No to Catalogs Empty Say No to Catalogs

Post by jbonie Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 am

Okay, out with the information: It is time to say "no" to catalogs.

They are huge, completely wasteful, and add cost to the auctions that makes us all wind up getting stuck with a higher buyer's premium.

It takes a huge amount of time to make a catalog. You've got to arrange and design it, pay people to publish it, ship it.

Who pays for all that? Not the auction houses. We do!

Most collectors get these things, flip through them for ten minutes, and never look at them again. Without catalogs, we'd have BP's of under 15%.

It's the 21st Century fellas!

But no auction house can stop producing catalogs on their own, or they'd be accused by their competitors of "not doing everything they can to sell the card".

That's why we need a massive uprising against catalogs!

Save money in your pocket and time for the auction houses. The recycling bin is full enough as it is. No more catalogs.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Say No to Catalogs Empty Re: Say No to Catalogs

Post by cccc Sat May 05, 2012 2:21 am

agreed completely! big waste of money and and paper and space i never look at them anyway, and some people even request past catalogs insane .

i hear people say they like browsing the hardcopy because they might miss smth from the online auction? that sounds like nonsense to me but whatev. auction houses should spend money archiving past paper 'logs online and do away with future ones. go green!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat May 05, 2012 4:36 am

I agree except for the REA auction, but I think that could be eliminated if the auction listing were better organized. REA huge volume almost makes it a necessity because you really need time to sort through the whole auction and doing it online (IMO) gets very boring. To me the Goodwin auctions are a prime example of catalogues that could be eliminated, good sized but able to see it all online in a reasonable time.

The only thing I could see for an auction house to keep doing catalogs would be for big spenders that do not go online. We all know there are big times collectors that we do not know of online and that may be there connection.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat May 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Lee pretty much hit it on the head. Most auctions you don't need a catalogue because it doesn't take that much time to check out an auction on-line. The exception being REA. The auction is so massive that it does get boring looking at a screen to see everything. The item that I am looking to get in REA is an item I never would have noticed if it wasn't for the catalgoue. The "dinosaur" fact is also there in that there are still some longtime collectors who do not go on-line for their collecting needs.

We are probably 10-15 years away from a time where catalgues will disappear.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat May 05, 2012 3:20 pm

cccc wrote:

i hear people say they like browsing the hardcopy because they might miss smth from the online auction? that sounds like nonsense to me

agreed 100%, but too many old school collectors like the catalogs too much so AH's won't risk getting rid of them. I would love to see them gone too if it meant lower BP's.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 05, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree with most of what has been. I dislike rea's catalog the most because it is so difficult to handle...and i no longer save them...a big waste of $$$ and trees!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewish-collector Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 pm

The reason the auction houses still produce catalogs is because a lot of their customers (not only just the big spenders) go thru them while they are on their business trips, vacation, etc,... (train rides, airplanes, etc,...)

Huggins & Scott have given a discount for customers who do NOT want the catalog. I'm not sure if others are doing the same.

Jewish-collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm

How kind of Huggins and Scott...after bidding on their on auctions for the last god knows how many years?!?!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 pm

I have always been amazed at what they send you for "free".I would rather save the money on the BP as well.
Jason
Jason
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Say No to Catalogs Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Say No to Catalogs Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down