Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011?

+5
ullmandds
bowlingshoeguy
ValKehl
sabrjay
cccc
9 posters

Go down

did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Empty did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011?

Post by cccc Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

if you've hung around the hobby and these boards the last few years, it seems like the topics and threads is like a memorex reel...t206s, sgc/psa, ebay fakes, t206s, rise/decline of candy cards, etc etc more t206s. the topics get rehashed over and over from the newbies turnovers. seldom any new info or knowledge comes up (intentional or not). anyways let's share what stuck out to you this past year or something that you never knew before?

for me it was tim's excellent article and research on the AWA caramels. that was really fascinating and interesting to me, coming from a caramel background. tim's also done incredible work on the t206-related stuff that culminated with the new site with jim...two top-notch hobby guys imo.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Empty Re: did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011?

Post by sabrjay Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Agreed, the AWA stuff was great. There were also good finds this year. The Middy Bread with 4 uncatalogued cards, a new t231 Fans Cigarettes card of Gardner, a new Tarzan Bread card and probably few others I am forgetting.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Empty Re: did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011?

Post by ValKehl Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 am

cccc wrote:for me it was tim's excellent article and research on the AWA caramels. that was really fascinating and interesting to me, coming from a caramel background. tim's also done incredible work on the t206-related stuff that culminated with the new site with jim...two top-notch hobby guys imo.

+1

Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 am

I learned that Pete bids large amounts of money on auctions when he's drunk. drunken

I totally with Quan on the AWA Caramels, also the Louisiana Find with the new T207 Red Cross backs.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

The GeorgeD collection showed up in 2010, but the auction was in 2011.

Good to see a number of the cards from that collection are in the hands of board members.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:39 pm

It seems that some people believe the T206 Wagner was never put in cigarette packs...and that all of them are/were hand cut.

I had never heard this theory before...and I don't buy it...but this was new to me?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

The theory holds for the piedmont Wagner, but not the Sweet Cap. There are enough out there that it's highly unlikely that they were all printer scrap or whatever you want to call it.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

jay...i agree. All of the SC's I've owned over the years were definitely not hand cut! bananarama
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I think for me the most interesting thing was learning about the photo of Alexander Cartwright (or, more likely, a close family member). I like a good controversy that isn't cut and dry.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 pm

that was a good lively debate jamie. both sides seem to think they're unequivocably correct in their assertions tho.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:10 pm

That Cartwright thing was a very interesting discussion. I probably enjoyed that the most too.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:04 pm

ullmandds wrote:It seems that some people believe the T206 Wagner was never put in cigarette packs...and that all of them are/were hand cut.

I had never heard this theory before...and I don't buy it...but this was new to me?!

Thanks guys for the kind words. I loved the new AWA backs being discovered and the Cartwright controversy was/is fascinating.

I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe the theory that all of the T206 Wagner's are hand cut and were never issued. At this point what we know is that Wagner, Plank, Crawford (Throwing), Lundgren (Chicago) and Jennings (Portrait) were not part of the original 150 subjects. They were added to the set during the printing of the 150 Series. Wagner, Plank and Crawford were added and printed with Sweet Caporal backs and then the Wagner was pulled prior to being issued with a Piedmont back. All of the printed an undistributed Piedmont Wagner's and Plank's will be hand cut, but the Sweet Caporal's were factory cut and put into packs. If you're interested in more detail's you can read The Big Four.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100did you learn any new nugget about the hobby in 2011? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Learned that Rube Waddell had two poses in the Bregstone set.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down