Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Gehrig bat

3 posters

Go down

Historic Gehrig bat Empty Historic Gehrig bat

Post by sabrjay Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Here's the story Gehrig bat
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Historic Gehrig bat Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Historic Gehrig bat Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Historic Gehrig bat Empty Re: Historic Gehrig bat

Post by ullmandds Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Wow...that's one special bat!!!!!!! I'd guess it'll selll for close to 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Historic Gehrig bat Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Historic Gehrig bat Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Very cool story. Tough to imagine it'd go for a million, but it is certainly a valuable bat. Great stories lead to huge prices too, so who knows? I'll guess somewhere in the half million dollar range.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Historic Gehrig bat Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Historic Gehrig bat Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Heck...I'd hope it'll fetch more than Kirk Gibson's bat...for cyring out loud!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Historic Gehrig bat Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Historic Gehrig bat Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:59 pm

It may well sell for more than the Gibson bat, but that Gibson bat was pretty special. Not only was it exceptionally light (because he was too injured to swing his normal bats), it also displayed great markings from banging into his cleats (something that can be photo matched), but I'd contend that the Gibson bat was used in one of the top 5 most memorable home runs ever hit. Heck, it is shown over and over each year. Even if TV were around back in Gehrig's day, I just don't see his last HR being played on a continuous loop.

I am not trying to downplay the Gehrig bat by any stretch. It's story is fantastic too, but I just don't see it bringing in more than the Gibson bat. Auctions are funny though. All it takes is two people with desire and deep pockets.

That said, Gehrig certainly has a huge following and it could very well spurn big numbers, but since it wasn't a record breaking HR or a World Series game clincher or something like that, I just don't think it has quite the same level of appeal.

Just my $0.02
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Historic Gehrig bat Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Historic Gehrig bat Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down