Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

unopened piedmont cigarette pack

5 posters

Go down

unopened piedmont cigarette pack Empty unopened piedmont cigarette pack

Post by dreamoft206 Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:28 am

Hi guys after searching for a site to discuss what I got recently I chose this one. I have an unopened pack of Piedmont Cigarettes. I doubt it has a card in it but just the thought is great. I probably paid a little higher than usual but I really wanted it..I love antiques even if it doesn't have a card. Anyways it's factory 240 dist 1, any information on this or notes of a potential card would be appreciated.

unopened piedmont cigarette pack Photo13
dreamoft206
dreamoft206
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
unopened piedmont cigarette pack Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100unopened piedmont cigarette pack Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

unopened piedmont cigarette pack Empty Re: unopened piedmont cigarette pack

Post by sabrjay Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 am

We do have a regular contributor that is an expert in this area. I'll let him give specifics. The factory is wrong for a baseball card, but not sure about other sets.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
unopened piedmont cigarette pack Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100unopened piedmont cigarette pack Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamoft206 Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 am

Cool thanks Sabrjay
dreamoft206
dreamoft206
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
unopened piedmont cigarette pack Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100unopened piedmont cigarette pack Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Jon Canfield would be a great person to reply to this in detail if he reads this board.

I'm far from an expert in this area but I have a few packs and related packaging from the era.

What I can tell you is that because you have an L&M (Liggett & Myers) Piedmont pack, this means that the earliest it could date to is 1911 after the breakup of the American Tobacco Company trust when T206 production was winding down or had already ceased.

For the most part, the Baseball related cards came in the 10 count slide shell boxes (pictured in the upper left corner in the image below). Its hard to tell the difference from my picture but the Piedmont pack that I have is thinner and has American Tobacco Company underneath of the tax stamp where yours says Liggett & Myers.

You still have a nice looking pack though which is very collectible!

unopened piedmont cigarette pack Tobacco_Collage

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by canjond Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:34 pm

I'll echo what has been said above. It's a great looking pack, but unfortunately, there will not be a baseball card inside. In order for there to be a card inside, the factory, dsitrict number, a date of production (as evidenced by the tax stamp) all have to match up. As Jay already mentioned, the factory number (240) is not a factory that distributed cards.

In terms of actual dating on the pack, it is impossible to get a truly accurate year without seeing the tax stamp. However, as was pointed out, the L&M printing on the bottom front dates the pack to post-1911, when the American Tobacco Company was split up and the L&M received Piedmont. I would venture a guess and say that based on pack design, this packs actually dates closer to 1916-17, however.

All and all - a great looking pack and still very collectible.

It's so unfortunate that GAI knew so little when they encased all of these packs. I hate to see 1909-11 written on the flip when it is impossible this pack dates from that period.
canjond
canjond
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
unopened piedmont cigarette pack Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100unopened piedmont cigarette pack Right_bar_bleue

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by canjond Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:35 pm

I should have mentioned that there are pictures of the "correct" 1909-11 packs on my website. Here is the T-206 page:

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t206.htm

and here is a correct 1909 Piedmont pack:

unopened piedmont cigarette pack Piedmont
canjond
canjond
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
unopened piedmont cigarette pack Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100unopened piedmont cigarette pack Right_bar_bleue

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamoft206 Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:36 am

Guy thanks for the info. and comments. I guess it's still cool to have something that old...All the best.
dreamoft206
dreamoft206
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cozmokramer Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 am

cozmokramer
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down