Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miracle on Ice medal sold

5 posters

Go down

Miracle on Ice medal sold Empty Miracle on Ice medal sold

Post by sabrjay Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Really sad to see that a gold medal from the 1980 Miracle on Team was sold. I really hope the seller gives a big chunk of this money back to the player because I doubt he paid anywhere near that for the medal. I can't stand collectors that will take advantage of players in dire straights.

gold medal article

I remember back in the 80s there was a collector in CO that would buy players memorabilia, rings, trophies, etc and then give them back to them if they had sold them because they were broke for one reason or another. Now that's a class act.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Miracle on Ice medal sold Empty Re: Miracle on Ice medal sold

Post by yawie99 Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:12 am

You would think that USA Hockey would step up to help the guy with his medical bills. Or even the Yank contingency of the NHLPA. Such a shame he had to sell such a historic gold, especially since the flipper made out so well.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:28 am

yawie99 wrote:You would think that USA Hockey would step up to help the guy with his medical bills. Or even the Yank contingency of the NHLPA. Such a shame he had to sell such a historic gold, especially since the flipper made out so well.

or nhlpa? does any current players' union treat their retired guys right? the gold medal probably sold for 30x what the dealer bought it at...UGH.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jebren72 Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:42 pm

Unless the player is 8 years old he didnt get taken advantage of. He's an adult. If he chose to simply dump the medal as quickly as possible at a reduced amount instead of just looking into selling it for 10 minutes thats not the dealers fault. Its the players. There is this wonderful invention known as the internet now. He could have spent 1 hour investigating selling it. He got his money and the dealer I assume made money. Everybody's happy. But lets not assume that a probably 50 year old man is some sort of stupid sap too dumb to know he was getting ripped off or something. Thats seems kind of insulting to him and far from the truth I'm sure.

jebren72
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 pm

The medal was sold years ago to the current seller. I don't care if a seller is sloppy, when the buyer knows that seller is selling because of dire financial and medical circumstances, you have to be a huge scumbag to try and buy the item for as little as possible.

I realize a lot of collectors don't have any morals or ethics when it comes to what they collect, but I do and look down on vultures that operate like this.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jebren72 Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:52 pm

If he bought it years ago how can you blame him for making money on it now? It doesnt make him a vulture-it just makes him a regular human being. This isnt 1940's Russia where someone has a claim on your earnings forever. People sell things all the time due to financial need. Maybe the seller has some sort of dire situation. I guess my main point is that none of that matters.
When you start trying to make people involved in simple VOLUNTARY transactions into criminals, victims or just dim-witted idiots it really turns it into something it wasnt. They're both adults-they both chose to complete the sale. Not everything in life is going to fair to the nth degree. Thats just life. Just cuz he sold it doesnt entitle him to a share of the lifetime profits or justify keeping the seller from making money on it. Unless someone said the seller deliberately defrauded the guy and has proof, thats a pretty big accusation to throw out there.

jebren72
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Miracle on Ice medal sold Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Miracle on Ice medal sold Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:18 pm

As I said, I have a serious problem with people that have little or no morals or ethics. If you are a caring human being, the right thing to do is make sure that the player is doing alright and doesn't need more help.

Maybe I'm weird, but that's what I would have done.

If you think I am kidding, here's an example. I bought a group of cards sight unseen as e92s. When I got them, I knew immediately they were e104-3s. Instead of chalking it up to good luck, I paid the guy more money because I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing I took advantage him.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 pm

This is really sad to see, I am in the middle of reading 'The Boys of Winter' by Wayne Coffey for the 2nd time. I think about the USA/CCCP game every week and how it was the greatest sporting event in the history of sports and will never be repeated. In 1982 Herb Brooks was the guest speaker at our Hockey Banquet and it was like having Jackie Robinson speak at a little league dinner. To think that 12 minnesota kids helped do the impossible is unreal, but it happened. My cousins grew up with Buzz Scheider and playing pick up hockey with him one x-mas break was another thrill.
Herb Brooks often said 'Mike Eruzione believes in free speech, he's just never given one.' He made a lifetime of fame and fortune off his winning goal and makes 15 grand or more at each motivational speaking event he does which I think is great. Many of the 1980 Hockey members have gone on to great success, but some have gone through tough times and it looks like Wells is another one on that list. It's sad that he had to sell his medal, but tough times call for tough measures, hopefully his friends and teamates are helping him out as best they can.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down