Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does overpaying spoil it for everyone?

+10
sabrjay
mwieder
rman444
terjung
jbonie
3-2-count
fisherboy7
crazylocomerk
cccc
BigGuy219
14 posters

Go down

Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Empty Does overpaying spoil it for everyone?

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:01 am

There is a card I want very badly that I am in negotiations on. The card in similar grade has sold twice at auction this past year. The last time for under $4,000. The seller, like most these days, claims he is "not motivated" and is holding firm on $6,000. More than $2,000 more the last reported sale, but not out of line with past sales before the wheels came off the economy.

I recently had a planned relocation blow up in my face and find myself with enough cash reserves that I had saved for moving expenses, rent, security deposit, etc. to make a serious run at the card.

My question is this. When some "jerk" like me comes along with unexpected cash and pays well above market for a card, does it ruin it for everyone? Do sellers point to me as an example when dealing with future customers and say, "Well. He paid X amount. So I'm not selling unless you do too."?

I'd really like to add the card, as my recent relationship status has all but eliminated the hobby from my life. As this was extra money I'd been saving for a move, it shouldn't torpedo the relationship. I want to treat myself, but at the same time I'd be paying more than 150% the previous sale and don't want to cause inflation.

And, before you ask "what card?" consider my last purchase, and then give a casual glance over on eBay. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduce this one.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Empty Re: Does overpaying spoil it for everyone?

Post by cccc Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:44 am

it's your money, do what you want with it. only thing with overpaying nowadays is if you have an emergency and need to unload fast you will probably lose alot. imo a 10-15% reach is fine cuz you really want the card, but not 150%...especially now.

m110 wagner? feels like i see 2-3 lowgrade up for sale every year and seemingly the m110s pop is growing fast. w600 portrait wagner otoh...now we're talking Cool
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Empty Re: Does overpaying spoil it for everyone?

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:17 pm

Like Quan said, it's your money and you should do what you want with it.

But in my opinion, I'd sit on the cash and wait for another example to come around in the right price range (I know....it's easier said then done). With the way the economy is right now, I just don't see the point in overpaying for a card that you really want, that you know you'll see again.

Now if it's one that you don't think you'll see in 5-10 years (or longer), then throw out what I just said and go for it.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Like Quan mentioned, there has been quite the influx of M110's on the auction house scene over the past 1-2 years. If you pass on this Wagner, you'll have other opportunities to pick up another, potentially at a price you're more comfortable with.

If the seller is playing hardball, I'd sit on my hands and wait for another (or maybe the seller will cave if he doesn't find a willing buyer).
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I'd hold. As others have stated another will surface and at your price. I've been in your position before and have
pulled the trigger only to regret it at a later date. I've Lived and learned.......
mallet
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I don't think it spoils it for everyone, but I agree with the other guys that you ought to pass on the card.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Doesn't spoil anything except potential future profits on the card for you.

IMO, it all comes down to scarcity of the card in question. If you can count how many exist and know where they are ("black hole collections"), then you can determine the likelihood of seeing one again without waiting 10 years. In the case of extreme scarcity, sometimes it is worthwhile to bite the bullet and pick it up even at an elevated price. On items that don't fall into the "extremely scarce" category (i.e. low single digit population regardless of condition) then it makes a lot more sense to wait it out and buy one of the next ones that you see.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Chris,

I understand what you were talking about now. Like others have said, probably not worth paying the extra dough. Another one, or perhaps even that exact same one, will make it back into an auction where you should be able to pick it up for market price.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mwieder Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Overpaying spoils it for me in a different way - it spoils my enjoyment of the card - if I were to overpay for a card, I'd be annoyed a bit every time I looked at it.

To your point, if VCP records the sales price, it does impact the market. That's exactly the theory behind fraudulent auction sales - make it seem the card is worth more then it is, so bidders will pay more.

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I remember in the late 80s when the internet was just ftp protocol and the assorted forums. The few dealers that were on the net would set up bogus buy and sell offers cards and then taut those in ads in SCD to justify silly prices. Sort of the same thing dealers would do with buy ads in SCD to justify inflated prices they were charging for cards they bought at prices much lower than what they said they were paying. That scam first reared its ugly head to me when a very prominent dealer who had an ad wanting to buy Wheaties. I offered him a complete run. Most of the collection on was on complete boxes. He said he wasn't interested because he had already bought all the Wheaties that he needed. WTF? You can't use more Wheaties on complete boxes? That's when the light went on and I figured out the scam.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:37 pm

I know exactly what Matt is talking about. I have not overpaid for many cards but the ones I have seem to laugh at me every time I look at them until they are sold and forgotten.

Lee

Last edited by bowlingshoeguy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Identity crisis)
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Make your final offer and let him sit on it. Whatever you are confortable with, 4500-4750 seems more than generous, put the ball in his court. Then just wait and when you pick one up for 3650-4300 you will be happy you waited.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:31 am

The Beckett guide that we used in the 80's and 90's, were prices submitted by dealers, for their own benefit. I remember all the up arrows every month.
Dealers wouldn't even give you half of Beckett for your cards.
It was a joke
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:26 pm

If you end up passing on the card because of the price, be sure not to let the cash burn a hole in your pocket flaming mad . When the lower priced example comes along, the money wont be there! It happens to me all the time!
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Does overpaying spoil it for everyone? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum