Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd perfect game this year...

+4
glenv
jbonie
fisherboy7
cccc
8 posters

Go down

3rd perfect game this year... Empty 3rd perfect game this year...

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 am

or should've been by armando galarraga. horrendous call by the 1st base umpire...WORST....CALLLL...EVERRRRRR. I am so pissed goddamnit.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

3rd perfect game this year... Empty Re: 3rd perfect game this year...

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:00 am

Worst blown call I've ever seen in my life. Live on ESPN. Vomit inducing.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:06 am

I'm gonna go choke 5 bunnies, punch 13 baby deers, and kick 9 sleeping puppies right now....HYACHHAYCHACHCA
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 am

On the plus side, the batter increased his average to .280.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 am

jamie your new avatar is not helping...i just DDT'ed a stray cat. usually your delahanty brings peace and serenity to me.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:23 am

That better? Smile
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:44 am

thanks buddy...it's a start
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:46 am

You'll have to get a massage with one of those SoCal cuties in order to deal with the rest of the "trauma" Wink
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:29 am

Perfect Game: No runs, no hits, no errors, no blown calls?

Just another strong argument for instant replay...

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:11 am

i respect the way galarraga handled the aftermath...with cool, quiet dignity. almost too calm for my taste, that was an enormous historical event lost.

jamie,

not gonna requote and i'll pretend i didn't see your last post because that's grounds for suspension with my gf nono (and no appeal like mlb)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:43 am

best tweet i got about this situation:

Guess what, Detroit fans? Umpire J. Joyce drives a Japanese car.

...LOL
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 pm

That's too many perfect (and nearly perfect) games for one spring. Hitters clearly need to get back on the juice.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I think I mentioned this before, but there have been more perfect games thrown since Len Barker's in 1981 than in the 110 years prior to that.

Sort of ruins the argument that pitching isn't as good as it used to be. I think the reality is that hitters are no longer shamed by striking out and are unwilling to take a BB. Hence, you get players creating more outs than they used too.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 pm

agreed jay. i wasn't surprised halliday was perfect against the marlins because they don't put the ball in play. nowadays you got all these stupid unwritten codes and ethics also. i'd remember back in the 80's hitters would try to bunt or stick body parts to break up no-hitters/perfect games. these days you'd prolly get chastised by your own teammates for being "dirty" and not playing the game "the right way".

i have to admit what braden did to tampa's patient, powerful lineup was impressive (and lucky), and so did galarraga. the babip gods were with those guys because they're more about control and finesse than actually striking people out.

Last edited by cccc on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 pm

As Long as Mark "needles" McGwire is the Cards' hitting coach, we will never be no-hit! LOL
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I will say that I really admire how classy both Galarraga and Joyce were in the aftermath of this incident. A perfect game is a wonderful accomplishment, but class, if you don't have it, is even more difficult to acquire. Smile
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:42 pm

browncow75 wrote:As Long as Mark "needles" McGwire is the Cards' hitting coach, we will never be no-hit! LOL

Never no-hit? McGwire is one of strangest choices for a hitting coach I've ever seen. Unless of course all you want your team to do is hit HRs and nothing else. He was the purest one trick pony ever to play the game. If not for an injury shortened '96 season, he might have become the first player to hit 50 HRs in a season and not hit .300 at some point in his career.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:49 pm

McGuire was a great hitter. He had 40hr power even before the juice. He was patient and had a massive OBP. Sure, his numbers were inflated, but it wasn't all the juice. He still would have been a .260/.370/.550 guy for sure. He certainly doesn't belong in the HOF, and I don't respect what he did, but he certainly knew his craft. Nor would I hire him considering his past history. But is he a qualified batting coach on a technical level? Absolutely.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Patient? His OBA is a result of his power and a lot of intentional walks. The other ugly stat if that over 1/3 of all his hits as HRs. No other player, including Killebrew and Kiner are even close.

I watched him his entire career, even having season tix to the As and the guy was not a good or patient hitter.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 pm

To me he was like Dave Kingman on roids?
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
3rd perfect game this year... Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 1003rd perfect game this year... Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:55 pm

At least Kingman could play defense.

Selig has said he will not review the play. This truly sad since it would have been the last play of the game and not affect the ultimate outcome of the game.

Sometimes, it seems like baseball goes out of its way to make it very difficult for pitchers to throw a perfect game. Not like it happens all the time. Although this year has certainly been a fluke.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 am

well, at least with all this publicity people will remember galarraga more than had he thrown the perfect game. in 50 years most wouldn't know who dallas braden was, but some will remember galarraga.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 am

I was just being sarcastic! I think Mcgwire as the Cards hitting coach is possibly the worst idea we've had since....well, ever. He is a career sub .270 hitter, and he spent 10+ years of his career "cheating" and it still didnt help his batting eye, since he always hit alot of HRs, they just went further! One of the best baseball memories I have is watching him hit 2 HRs in a game in June of '98 in person. After all the steroid stuff came out, and I was unable to rationalize the acceptance of the juice use in the game, Im definitely not a fan anymore (can you tell?). He was a one trick pony, and it baffles me that Tony Larussa would let his personal feelings for the guy overshadow his baseball integrity. Of course, the "bash Bros." were created under his watch, so hmm... Hope Albert doesnt get sucked into that crap when he starts to get to the twilight of his career.
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:40 am

In his ROOKIE YEAR, McGwire had 49 homers and hit .289. That was 1987. He didn't start roids, by his own admission, till '89.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."

This guy was a great player. Not as legendary as he was perhaps made out to be, and showed a serious character flaw by juicing (and then disgracefully lying about it to Congress). But he (and Bonds) had some excellent years prior to the juice - they were human years, not superhuman. These guys cheated, yes, but were still fundamentally excellent players.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:11 pm

McGwire was excellent only if you measure HRs. He offered nothing else. No BA, no extra base hits beyond HRs, and he was a liability in the field and on the basepath. To be considered great, or even excellent, you have more than one tool. Even his one tool was only a partial tool.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down