Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buy Low, Sell High

2 posters

Go down

Buy Low, Sell High Empty Buy Low, Sell High

Post by TheRiddler Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Is gold low? No, gold is near its all time high.
Are home prices low? Well, prices are off substantially and it would likely take years to recoup the recent losses, so home investment is kinda low.
Are baseball cards low? Not really, although some sets/conditions appear to have felt the impact of our economical climate.
Is the Dow low? The Dow is near its ten year low point.

So what to do?
Like the song says - Dont worry, be Happy!
You ain't rich now, you won't be in the future, but who cares? bananarama
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Buy Low, Sell High Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Buy Low, Sell High Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Buy Low, Sell High Empty Re: Buy Low, Sell High

Post by sabrjay Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Housing and the Dow are at major low points but that exactly the time to put money into it. Both will recover and you'll see gains. Gold is a crap shoot that I would never sink money into. Like almost every commodity, there is too much of a chance of the traders doing goofy things with the market price. All you have to do is look at oil. If I remember right, gold was $300+/ounce when it was legal to own again in the US. That price remained very flat for a long time. Gold is at a record high right now because of economic concerns. Once those go away, prices on gold will plummet until the next economic scare.

Baseball cards, well, I can't even draw parallels to the early 80s because everything in the hobby took a beating. I remember the 52 Topps Mantle hitting $3k in 1981. By 1983 you struggled to get $1k for it in nice shape. In this market, true rarities in the hobby are holding their own and/or climbing while many sets that got a big bump because other sets got too pricey and people looked for cheaper alternatives, those sets are taking a beating on prices. Many e-card sets fall into this category.

While there is still a strong demand for t206s, Goudeys, etc, prices have softened up from the frenzy earlier in the decade.

You're best bets are always the cards that YOU want to own. Whether it's your favorite player, team, set, etc. If the market falls, at least you own cards you enjoy and not that you bought because you thought they be a good investment. Barring that, stick with well known rarities and top tier HOFers. Prices will always be strong there.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Buy Low, Sell High Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Buy Low, Sell High Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 pm

On baseball cards my thinking has always been to include some serious beaters, such as the CJ Mack which you sold me.
These cards are not wholely unattractive, but they are significantly damaged. However, if they are a card which in better shape would have cost you hundreds or more, then you have saved that money to buy something else, while acquiring an item (beater) which has essentially no downside. No downside: think of it. You may never see appreciation, but it will never be worth less. Now that is like collecting pennies from circulation. Plus you want the card.

Buy Low, Sell High Keeler11

Joann purchased this card because she is aware of this advantage. And sold it to me because I was first.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Buy Low, Sell High Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Buy Low, Sell High Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down