Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great to Be Here!

+2
Square_Frame_Ramly
LucasRiley
6 posters

Go down

Great to Be Here! Empty Great to Be Here!

Post by LucasRiley Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Hello all! Jay recommended I introduce myself. I just joined today. I go by LucasRiley. It isn't my real name, but I've been using it so long that I've come to prefer it to my real one, and it's what I buy under on eBay, so it's a good way to know me. (Comes from a David Baerwald song, for all those who really know their obscure 80's music.)

Like most of the people on this forum, I'm guessing, I believe baseball to be the greatest game on earth, though I'm not always fond of what the corporation MLB is doing to it. I've been a collector since '97 and whole-hog-avid about it since '06. I do a lot of buying on eBay, but like many others I grow less and less enamored of how they do business. I'm looking for alternate outlets to pursue and discuss my favorite hobby, and this seems like a great forum. I'm glad to be a part of it.

I should mention my sets, I suppose: '34 World Wide Gum (hard one to put together); '48 Leaf (even harder); '49-'55 Bowman (except for '51 because I didn't even wanna mess with two VERY pricey cards - I'm sure you know the ones I mean); and '53, '55, '57, '58, '60, and '61 Topps. Also '64 Topps Giants. At the moment I've been scanning www.oldcardboard.com pretty actively looking for a new pre-WWII set to get into that won't cost a fortune.

Anyway, I'm goin' on a bit long. I'll wrap up. Glad to be aboard. I will do my best to be an active and useful contributor!
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Great to Be Here! Empty Re: Great to Be Here!

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:20 pm

Welcome...You will notice most collectors will talk about cards from 1887-1929 here but hey we would love to talk about 50's also, it will mix it up a bit.

Yeah, i hear that prices are starting to rise for high grade Bowmans just like it happened to Caramel cards and other T sets 4 years ago.

Use the B/S/T to sell cards and also buy. If you have any trouble posting pics or other tech problems we have a section for that or email me.

vintagecards@gmail.com

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Yeah, nobody talks about our 50s cards.
One of the 50s themes which I collect is the "set" of cards which depict former Negro Leaguers who made it to the bigs.
I figured: why lament what did not occur, when you can celebrate what did!
I enjoy the research part of it, but determining who actually did have at least a "cup of coffee" in the NeL can be elusive.
And although most who did make it have Topps (and/or) Bowman cards, some do not.
Finding examples of some of these players is not as easy as some prefer.
And for others, such as Mays, Campanella, Aaron, Robinson, etc. the prices can be noteworthy.

Tell us about your 50s interests!

- Gil Very Happy
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Talk is 50s cards and even more modern cards is more than welcome. All that we ask is that it is posted in the proper area, usually The Bullpen. Feel free to contribute the virtual set area too. It's there for everyone to use and update.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am

welcome! a few affordable prewar sets...if u wanna go off the tobacco & caramel path. game cards, fan craze, strip cards, etc.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Welcome aboard, nice to have you. If you are looking for a smaller set, the caramel issues are the way to go. Old cardboard is a gerat reference and nice visuals to look at before deciding on a set. Feel free to ask questions, there is also a greatsearch feature that might answer your questions also.

Enjoy the trip,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Great to Be Here! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Great to Be Here! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down